Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if this in the wrong place sorry guys.

so today i got off work an went to town an on my way back the low coolant light came on the message center. I've checked the oil, its not milky and ive looked everywhere under the truck and nothing wet what so ever. please tell me this coolant is just vanishing into thin air.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
It may be seeping out from the EGR cooler and the motor heat is evaporating it. Or it could be leaking out through the hole on the bottom side of your water pump indicating the meachanical seal in your water pump is starting to go out. Look underneath the center of the motor and see if you can see any trails of liquid evaporating.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no egr, 01 lb7

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill check it in the morning, thanks kyle

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
did you physically check to see if you are low on coolant and it isn't just your sensor acting up?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didnt. i think you might be right because i ran it pretty hard today trying to make the light come on and it never did, but it was also 25 degrees cooler today

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
i didnt. i think you might be right because i ran it pretty hard today trying to make the light come on and it never did, but it was also 25 degrees cooler today
First thing you should do or have done is check coolant level.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that shit is hot tony! an there is absolutely no way to vent the pressure off lol

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
that shit is hot tony! an there is absolutely no way to vent the pressure off lol
Lol, you can't see through the side of the tank?

How is the fluid level when it cools down?

·
Registered
510 Posts
How many miles are on your truck??

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, you can't see through the side of the tank?

How is the fluid level when it cools down?
im going to check it in the morning if i remember

·
Registered
510 Posts
Well did you check the level?? and the hose to see if it was hard?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its a little low, the hose was hard this morning. a little harder then a tennis ball. how the fuck do you get in the reservoir open without the antifreeze going everywhere

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anyone?

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Open it when it's cold.

Go buy a cap and replace it, cheap attempt to fix it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
its a little low, the hose was hard this morning. a little harder then a tennis ball. how the fuck do you get in the reservoir open without the antifreeze going everywhere
Are you opening the over flow cap or the radiator cap??

and also, don't open it when it's hot.

you can go ahead and kiss the theory that your sensor is bad out the window though.... because even if it was just your sensor, you are definitely low on coolant now since you sprayed it everywhere by opening a hot cap.

Just take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok i finally got to park it on concrete overnight. theres a puddle of antifreeze between my engine and tranny. what would leak clear back there or could it run the far from the water pump before droppin? if it was head gaskets i wouldnt have have a puddle of antifreeze would i cuz that would all stay in the engine right?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 57 Posts