Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 that I’ve owned for a few months now has always had pretty low oil pressure. 40+ when cold but when warm it hovers around 20. We are towing our travel trailer right now and noticed that when warm and at idle it shows as low as 10!

When we got to our camp I unhooked the trailer and noticed that the trailer hitch and front of our trailer had a film of clean or clear oil. Wasn’t soot or dark in any way.

How much trouble are we in? Ugghhhh.

·
Premium Member
8,868 Posts
Are you sure it’s coming out of the exhaust, not some other leak under the truck? I’m thinking it would be pretty black if it’s oil coming out through the tail pipe. My first thought is a turbo starting to go bad. Pull the down pipe and see if you’ve got oil on the inside of it. Also pull the mouthpiece and see if the shaft has excessive play in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
You wouldn't have oil on hitch if it was coming out exhaust. What does it smell like - diesel? Need to climb under and trace it back. Take some pics and we can help better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are great points, it’s not black or even dark so it’s fresh oil.
I’m going to get under the truck today to check it out. Don’t have full tools at our camp ground so I might end up dropping it off at a shop where we are at for the week.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm lifted the hood and there is fresh oil on the pulleys and fan. Upper radiator hose is also collapsed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright. Might be okay here.
It’s not oil it’s coolant. Hose collapsed, there was pressure in the overflow tank and level was super high. Unscrewed cap, level went down and hose went back to shape.

so bad cap?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any input on the low oil pressure would help me sleep at night too. Seems like these engines are all unique in their quirks.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
As far as the oil pressure, I would buy some oil supplement, making the viscosity a little higher, until you're at home after vacation. If engine starts knocking, that's a different story.

If you have coolant coating your engine, that needs to be looked at right away. But check your coolant level in the morning, when engine is cool, for a few days in a row to see if it stays consistent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New cap has taken care of fluid all over the place.

Before we headed back home I got an oil change. The guy at the oil place said he had never seen oil for a diesel as clean as my oil was (about 3,500 miles since last change), wondering if that's because there is diesel in it?

Drove it and with new oil obviously the oil pressure was MUCH higher (40 at idle and up to 60 while driving) but after only about 100 miles or so it was back to being on the lower side (20 at idle 40 while pulling), would diesel get in that quickly if I had a bad injector or two? Made it home (500+ miles) with no problems at all. I'm really confused about what could be going on. Now the pressure is 18-20 while idle and 30-40 while driving, is that okay????

Since the gauge showed a higher pressure with new oil makes me think the gauge is fine. I'm not getting weird smoking of any type, seems to run fine, it's the LB7 and original injectors and low oil pressure and clean oil that makes me think injectors? Is it worth taking to a dealer or diesel shop that can run tests?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a lot of searching on here, it seems like it is quite normal to have this low of oil pressure. I guess I need to stop stressing about my injectors and let it be. :) We just got done towing for almost 2k miles with only a stuck cap as an issue and that makes me happy.

·
Premium Member
8,868 Posts
Don’t stress it, those numbers are fine. You were seeing higher oil pressure right after the oil change till the oil heated back up. The hotter the oil, the lower the pressure. Nothing extraordinary about the numbers you’re seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts