Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not sure if i put this in the right forum, correct me if its not. Anyways, for the last while my trucks oil pressure has been worrying me, when its cold at idle its sits about 400-450 kpa, normal isnt it? but when its warmed up in gear or not, it sits at about 190kpa at idle, and about 400kpa at 1500rpm, give or take. ive just changed the oil, its full, and has always been, i always check it to make sure. and im running 15w40. does anyone no of an easy way to diagnose a problem? where to start etc? any advise is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
sounds normal to me.. i did calculations

your saying its around 27 at idle. and 60 going? that sounds about normal to me

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep thats what i mean, i was never really sure what was normal and it sure seemed low to me. thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
EVERYONE with a Duramax has been concerned about the oil pressure on their truck at one time or another. However, very few have ever had a engine problem traced to low oil pressure.

The oil system is high volume, low pressure.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
When your oil is cold the pressure is higher around 60, once it warms up the pressure drops to around 25. This is why fueling a cold diesel is bad, oil pressure skyrockets bc the demand is exceeding supply which means your not lubricateing your engine properly. Let diesels warm up completely before getting on them..........

OP, your truck is fine...................................

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The oil is thicker when cold, and is not pushed through the bearings as easy. That is why the oil pressure is higher. IMO

·
Registered
44 Posts
When your oil is cold the pressure is higher around 60, once it warms up the pressure drops to around 25. This is why fueling a cold diesel is bad, oil pressure skyrockets bc the demand is exceeding supply which means your not lubricateing your engine properly. Let diesels warm up completely before getting on them..........

OP, your truck is fine...................................
So what pressure would you wait to see before you begin driving after first start-up?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
In my opinion, it is OK to start up the vehicle and drive-- BUT keep the RPM at, or below 1,000, by driving slow. This will help it warm faster and will not hurt the drive train.

I would never start it, and beat on it!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Not just for a diesel buy anything that is lubed by oil! the colder it is the easer you go on it. It kills me to see someone start up something up cold then rag on it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts