Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004.5 LLY Sierra 2500HD with 165k miles
Lately the truck has been bogging down after sitting at a stop light and when I go to take off it'll just blow white smoke. I have to put it in neutral whomp on it, it builds some pressure and puffs out white smoke and eventually the truck will blow some black smoke and then it is good to go again. I have an K&N air intake, recently cleaned that and the MAF along with the Turbo vane position sensor. I also have S&B mouthpiece, other than this the truck is stock. Fuel filter has been changed and the issue is still present. Am I sucking air from somewhere, or is this an electrical problem, turbo problem? I have not lost any coolant and none of my hoses are hard. This has been going on for like two months and is really stressing me out. Im new to the diesel world so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
When you cleaned everything, did you disconnect the batteries? I would let it sit dead for an hour or two and have everything reset itself. Double check all your lines and the respective couplings. Maybe even open them up and reseat them, could have wiggled out just enough to make a difference under boost.

Hopefully its a simple fix and not a turbo or turbo seal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it to my guys shop and it turned out to be my egr valve was sticking open after running for a while. went ahead and got rid of that and also decided to change to a 5inch straight pipe. When I bought the truck there was a Borla exhaust system with a cat and muffler. I’ve never heard of Borla making a diesel exhaust but I didn’t think twice about it as I was so anxious to buy a diesel. When I had my new found mechanic look at it he recommended I change it because when he let it run in his garage, black soot was building up on his wall. When the Borla system was removed a pile of soot was shaken out of it. Needless to say my truck was all sorts of clogged up! But now it runs great! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
34 Posts
Whats wrong with black smoke do you not care about all smoke?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts