Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend borrowed my 2007.5 2500HD today and despite my telling him to only put in ultra-low sulfur diesel he pulled into a Valero and put in about 10 gal of low sulfur. He called me and I told him to stop pumping and he's going to go to another station and fill the rest with ULSD. Is there a risk of damage with that amount mixed in?

·
Registered
2006 Chevy 2500HD CCSB LBZ
2,192 Posts
No, not at all...........ULSD has even less lubrication to it then LSD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I normally add Diesel Kleen at each fillup and I had him do it as well. From what I understand the LSD won't harm the motor at all, but it can cause the DPF to clog up quickly. I'm just hoping that 10 gal isn't enough to cause an issue.

·
Registered
2006 Chevy 2500HD CCSB LBZ
2,192 Posts
yeah, only if you are running allot of it. 10 Gallons will be fine. The regen will clean it out anyway.........

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
you lucky i am looking for pumps that just sell low sulfer

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
HUH !! I did not know you could still purchase "LSD", I thought it has all been converted over to "ULSD" ???

Or, does it depend on your location ?? I guess it could still be available !!

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I am sure it was ULSD-- that is a fed requirement for on-road diesel fuel-- for about 5 years. If you did use LSD for an extended time, it could mess up the DPF, but if it already fell off, there is no problem what so ever.

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
^^^exactly unless it was farm diesel (dyed) its ulsd...most places still just have the LSD sticker on the pump still

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
^^^exactly unless it was farm diesel (dyed) its ulsd...most places still just have the LSD sticker on the pump still
their are a could places around me that still sell it. its like a thirty mile drive though. it is lsd...the prices is about 10c higher per gallon

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
HUH !! I did not know you could still purchase "LSD", I thought it has all been converted over to "ULSD" ???

Or, does it depend on your location ?? I guess it could still be available !!
still available depending on location.......I can roll BIG,BLACK clouds of smoke with lsd too...I don't worry though I have a LBZ and it is fine with it...no worry unless your putting a lot of lsd fuel into it.:drink

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
THE PROBLEM IS NOT WITH NOT ENOUGHT LUBRICATION. The problem is the dpf CANNOT have anything other that ulsd go through it. If it goes into regen with normal diesel in it, it may melt the filter. Seen it before at my dealership, and they are REALLY REALLY REALLY EXPENSIVE. DO not let it go into regen mode until you get that crap out of their.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts