Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a small leak on my duramax from my oil pan gasket so today after work I drained the oil, removed the cross member bar, and unbolted all the nuts and bolts that hold the oil pan together. I pushed the oil level sensor in already like I was instructed to do but I can't get that damn pan to unseal. What are some tips/tricks that y'all know that might help me?

·
Registered
80 Posts
So I had a small leak on my duramax from my oil pan gasket so today after work I drained the oil, removed the cross member bar, and unbolted all the nuts and bolts that hold the oil pan together. I pushed the oil level sensor in already like I was instructed to do but I can't get that damn pan to unseal. What are some tips/tricks that y'all know that might help me?

Remove all bolts except for two so you have one on each side of the pan screwded in a bit more then halfway then use a deadblow hammer or a regular hammer with block of wood to knock the pan loose if that doesn't work then pry it open with a flathead or something thin enough to get in between the two surfaces. Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
If both those ways don't work I have seen people use a piece of right angle pipe or something to hook in through the oil drain plug hole and pry down on the pan to pop it off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
the gasket they use is nearly super glue, haha good luck, pry, pull or whatever i takes to get it off.

·
Registered
822 Posts
They did not use a gasket on either the upper or lower oil pan. Instead GM found the most adhesive oil / chemical resistant grey gelatnous RTV ever invented. i don't even think NASA would use that stuff since its better than any glue out there.

If you are taking the lower off, be prepared to fix the edges as more than likely you will bend it when prying. If its the upper, don't forget about the 2 bolts in the rear cover.

·
Registered
60 Posts

how long of a job is it to get the oil pan off?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts