Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone,

can some knowledgable people chime in on this thread and let me know the pros and cons of lowering a lifted truck? i have 7.5" RCX that is maybe set at 6.5" and im curious if i lower it down will there be a big benefit to ride quality, steering quality or is it just a CV axle only quality (since we all want straight ones)

i have 35s and from what i read even people with a 4" lift can run 35s without any issues, so if it were a good idea to lower down what would keep me from dropping it, the bump stop above the LCA obviously has alot of room but what about my bracket thats attached to the torsion bar thats holding this rubber bump stop there, that should matter right? as long as its lowered down and the axles are straight and my Shocks of course can handle it, i should be alright?

for sure i would have to change the rear blocks. when my truck was leveled with pro comp keys VS lifted with stocks keys the steering got wayyyyy better with the stock keys turned down (assuming they arent cranked, but the guy said he cranked them a little to make sure i never rubbed the tire) so with that in mind, completely forgetting about fender plastic since thats easy to cut is it safe to say i could lower my bars down?

if it wont make a difference in ride quality then idk, but if it would benefit steering vibration and also benefit the CV angles and i could do it with the existing parts then i might end up doing it soon! i just hope nothing bottoms out if i do it! maybe 1.5" would make the world of a difference?

does having bad CV angles or non straight ones cause vibration? the same vibration we read about in the other thread? since they spin all the time

im still playing around with the adjustable steering stabilizer idea but im curious what lowering the suspension would actually do!

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2011-lml-duramax-powertrain/136868-lml-dual-steering-stabilizer-stiffen-up-even-more.html

here are some pictures of my chit :rof

photo1.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo111.jpg

photo1111.jpg

photo11111.jpg

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for some reason in the back of my mind i feel that cranking of the T-bars = more of a loose steering, but i might be wrong, someone set me straight!

photo111111.jpg

photo1111111.jpg

photo11111111.jpg

photo111111111.jpg

photo1111111111.jpg

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i want to mention i have seen other threads talking about this but i dont remember if they were the LML's or not or what lift, etc

·
Registered
37 Posts
yes you can fit 35's with a 4" lift with the right WHEEL. It all depends on the wheel sizing. What offset, width, backspacing, etc.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so your lift is at a 4" right now? or 5" or 6" and by the looks of my setup i dont think it would rub at all

im just hoping there is a little more light shed on the idea of lowering down a lift by the T bars

cutting the rear block or getting smaller ones isnt a big deal

maybe i need to drive a new one off the lot thats factory low and see how it drove, i completely forgot!!

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i agree

so nothing would keep me from going down...... except shocks bottoming out is what im thinking

the truck drives and rides great on nice roads but when i start getting to a stop light or stop sign and there is a different concrete block im on and if going at it in an angle and my left or right tire drops first (or even driveways or anything uneven)(stay with me on this one) it will jerk the steering wheel untill the other side catches, if that makes sense and ive got a stabilizer and braces so thats why i say cranked bars "in my mind" take a toll on the steering

but hopefully someone can prove me wrong and set me straight!

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I cant answer your questions my truck is lowered. Ive never lifted a truck with ifs that i personally drove and hoenstly never will. I would trial and error with lowering the front down until you are happy with the ride, keep checking the shocks so they do not bottom out then match the back one you are happy or happier.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant answer your questions my truck is lowered. Ive never lifted a truck with ifs that i personally drove and hoenstly never will. I would trial and error with lowering the front down until you are happy with the ride, keep checking the shocks so they do not bottom out then match the back one you are happy or happier.
thats a good weekend project!

:drink i like the positive feedback!

·
Registered
19,426 Posts
Agreed 100%

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im going to give it a whirl this weekend maybe

im just curious what the min/max is for these late model lifts (how far can i really lower a 7.5" kit ?!), guess it doesnt really matter when lowering too much if the angles are wayyy better and it still rides good,
could only be a benefit looks like!

·
Registered
650 Posts
my truck is sitting on 33'' and im running keys and my CV angles are embarrassing. I want to fix it, But i cant make my truck sit any higher than it does already because of the gooseneck livestock trailer that i pull. i would like to do a lift and just turn it down as far as i could, i would think that would give me the best ride but im not sure how much higher i would sit. it would be nice to do the lift because if i wanted to go to the dunes or something for the weekend i could set it back up in the air a little more. But idk what im gunna do, i have a horrible ride and need to do something about it

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my truck is sitting on 33'' and im running keys and my CV angles are embarrassing. I want to fix it, But i cant make my truck sit any higher than it does already because of the gooseneck livestock trailer that i pull. i would like to do a lift and just turn it down as far as i could, i would think that would give me the best ride but im not sure how much higher i would sit. it would be nice to do the lift because if i wanted to go to the dunes or something for the weekend i could set it back up in the air a little more. But idk what im gunna do, i have a horrible ride and need to do something about it

wait

are you leveled?

because if you are ditch the keys!!!!!!! been there done that= thumbs down for me

my lifted ride isnt bad at all, well the steering obviously is tighter being lifted with stock keys VS being leveled like i was in the past with Pro Comp Keys but i guess im just picky and will never be happy, telling you though, those steering braces do wonders! im just wondering if lowering it down make it ride better or worse (excluding the help it would be doing on front end parts)

so its a 50/50 for me, i want my front end parts to last long and i want to see what benefit there would be lowering a lift down because i read that people that get these big lifts lower them down, but unless i can drive in their trucks i wont ever know untill i do it myself!

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Until the t-bar bolts come out. Don't be scared when I did my 3/5 drop I took them suckers out:thumb

3/5 drop on 35"s
damn thats a big tire on a low truck!! :neener

·
Registered
650 Posts
i wont be able to clear my 33''s without my keys tho, thats why i need to do something different

·
Registered
208 Posts
sparepartsracing are those stock keys. That looks good

1 - 20 of 283 Posts