Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never lowered a truck down always lifted them. I have just installed 2" belltech drop shackles on the rear of my truck and have had the keys cranked for leveling. I dropped the keys down some so that there is about a 1/4" between the LCA and the bump on the frame. I want to drop the front down so that my CV's are straight but if I go much further I will be resting on those rubber bumpers.

Question: If I dropped it all the way will it ride like crap since it will be resting on those bumpers? Also do you guys who have done this usually try to set the gap between fenders and tires equal or keep a slight rake?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
My truck is stock height and it rides on the jouncers. You can switch to the Z71 jouncers aswell. I'm debating about putting in drop shackles, how was the install? How'd you get the bolts out without hitting the frame? What setup did you go with?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
My truck is stock height and it rides on the jouncers. You can switch to the Z71 jouncers aswell. I'm debating about putting in drop shackles, how was the install? How'd you get the bolts out without hitting the frame? What setup did you go with?
You can drop the trailer hitch out or jack the bed up from under the bumper if you unbolt the shocks. And don't put the damn bolt back in the same way lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
You only have to disconnect the shocks, there's no bed mounts or anything?
The bed is connected to the frame.. Frame is connected to the shocks. Unbolt the shocks and front leaf bolts and take the trailer hitch out. Easiest way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't bad at all. Unbolt the hitch. Jacked the rear up till it was off the ground and secured it with jack stand under the frame where the flat portion is under the back of the cab. Unbolted lower shocks. Pulled the bolt out where the shackle bolts to the frame. Pulled the nut off where the spring bolts to shackle and then used my jack to lift axle up until the bolts would pull out. Had to lift axle high enough that shackles touched under side of bed and then the bolts pulled out in the gap between the bed and the frame. Reinstall is backwards. Just make sure that you don't tighten everything down until you have the truck back on the ground with the weight of the truck on the tires. Done!

How are the Z71 bumps different?

·
Registered
619 Posts
The come to a point instead of a round and I believe they're more durable but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts