Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Lowering the rear with a shackle

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  05DMAXDually 
#1 ·
I have looked through another thread about the lowered D-Max's and they look good. I would like to get close to leveling out my truck, by lowering the rake in the back with a drop shackle. I don't mind if it isn't perfectly level, but close to the front. My question is, can I install a 2-3" drop shackle in the back and be good to go? or do I have to drop the torsion keys also?..... and yes I know, I should just level out the front and be done, but I really like the look of the stock height in the front and lowering the back some. (just my preference.)

I would like to have a good ride without a harsh suspension in the front. I would ultimately like to just install the drop shackle (tight on funds) and be done with it. I am dumping money into other items (front end mods, performance mods, wheels and tires). I am also hoping the fact that I can get to an even stance and leaving the front even as possible.

I am in Cali and don't do a lot of off road, mainly highway. When I do go off highway, they are on dirt roads. I used to take my Toyota Tacoma to the spots we go Hunting or Fishing without any problems on clearance.

Main use will be with highway and occasional light off road (dirt roads), light towing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks to all for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
3" drop shackles will do you good. Won't be perfectly leveled but it will be damn close.

They are generally a breeze to put it as long as the bolt holding isnt siezed in the guide like mine and had to press it out.

#3 ·
Cool, thanks for the info and that's what I wanted to hear. I was looking online and found some 2-3" drop shackles. It is exactly what I am looking for.

I hope to be posting pics up later in the year, when I get more cash flow. I am wanting to upgrade the front suspension with HD Tie Rods, maybe centerlink, new idler and pitman arms, sway bar end links, new stainless steel brake lines (hate the spongy feeling), more than likely changing out the bearing hub and then moving onto new wheels and tires, then the performance parts.

I know it is overkill for what I use my truck for, but like my father said and many other influential people in my life said "if you want it done right, make sure it is done right the first time and not worry about later on down the line".......that's probably why all of his stuff lasted soooooo long.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.