Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax came with LT265/70R18 tires. I'm now on my second set of tires and looking for my third set. I've had good luck with the Michelin stock tires...no complaints. I stopped by to get a quote on new tires from my local tire shop. They told me the tires I want are on back order. They told me the LT275/65R18 were a more standard size and that I would like them better than the ones I was running. I understand the size difference...the tires they want to sell me are about 1/2 inch higher...1/4 inch on the diameter and about 1/2 inch wider. What I don't understand is...What are the real world changes I'll see on the highway running empty and pulling 12,000 lbs of 5th wheel? ... or are they close enough I won't notice any difference? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oooops....the LT265s are actually 1/2 inch shorter, not taller. Sorry for the mistake.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooops....the LT265s are actually 1/2 inch shorter, not taller. Sorry for the mistake.
UPDATE: Boy...I'm struggling with this post. The "LT275s" are 1/2 inch shorter, not taller. I hope now this is right. I wish this forum would let you edit your posts.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
the 65 chord angle vs 70 chord angle will give very slightly improved side stability and a very slightly stiffer ride. The slightly smaller 275 diameter will give you a very slight effective lower gear ratio (higher numerically). Be difficult to notice the difference but those factors would tend to improve towing usually.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would agree the slightly shorter sidewall will offer a little more stability although it may have a lower weight capacity?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts