Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always used a 1/2 of quart of lucas every oil change in my 99 6.0L Chevy 2500. Now that I have switched to a diesel should I or can I still use lucas oil additive?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Vendor
10,956 Posts
Before adding a bunch of additives to your oil, why not buy a better oil? What are you currently using?

As for fuel additives, Stanadyne, AMSOIL, Opti-lube among others are all good. Lucas didn't fare well in the lab tests they ran a few yrs ago. It was proven then that you got more lubricity from straight diesel than by adding lucas fuel additives.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Many people complain about the cost of a high quality oil. So, they buy cheaper oil then buy expensive additives and change the chemistry of the way that oil is suppose to work.

Buy a better quality oil, follow the recommendations and you will see better performance and better fuel economy.

The same goes for fuel additive. Mrmanners mentioned a few quality products. I'm going add Schaeffer's oil and fuel additives to that list. Supreme 7000 syn blend, Supreme 9000 full syn and Diesel Treat 2000 show great performance.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I remember reading that lucas oil additive cause foaming problems with the oil and it wasnt recommended anymore. Not sure where I saw it but im pretty sure I did.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
amsoil just must be perfect! :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
the lucas drag team does not use lucas additives in their engines.

that might give a sign or two....

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Before adding a bunch of additives to your oil, why not buy a better oil? What are you currently using?

As for fuel additives, Stanadyne, AMSOIL, Opti-lube among others are all good. Lucas didn't fare well in the lab tests they ran a few yrs ago. It was proven then that you got more lubricity from straight diesel than by adding lucas fuel additives.
I saw a test on this and i noticed one thing that some people skipped over, that was the fact that the diesel used was before the lubricity treatment that the oil companies do themselves. The Lucas did improve the lubricity of the "dry" diesel, but it wasn't a very significant improvement. The treatments from the companies themselves do a better job, but Lucas on top of the add in's would help some IMO. (doesn't seem like alot though).
The ones that helped a lot were, optilube of just about every kind, amsoil, biodiesel, Stanadyne, diesel kleen and others. Lucas was one of the worst.

Feel free to correct me at anytime, this is purely based off of the results I saw over on diesel place.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've used Lucas Oil treatment in gas motors for years and it's always been good and hasn't foamed on me. However, my '01 is my first diesel so I'm not sure if it's different but I know the previous owner of my truck has used a quart of lucas every oil change for the truck's whole life and it seems to be fine. I've heard a lot of good things about Amsoil though so I'm considering going to that instead of Rotella/Lucas.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
Lucas fuel additive is junk. The oil additive I use to use in my gas engine & in my LB7 & LLY. I didnt notice a diff. in the oil. nono

·
Registered
539 Posts
Lucas fuel additive is junk. The oil additive I use to use in my gas engine & in my LB7 & LLY. I didnt notice a diff. in the oil. nono
Agreee^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Lucas is pure garbage, put a high quality oil in the truck and skip the band aid approach with oil additives.

·
Do work!
2,234 Posts
I use the oil additive in my truck and everything on the farm. Never had a problem with it and usually get 50 more hours out of an oil chance on the equipment

Sent from a combine cab using AutoGuide

·
Registered
116 Posts
used a court of lucas with my rotella and dont see any problems and truck runs good.

·
Street Sleeper
614 Posts
Personally after looking around and reading I have been an avid purchaser of Optilube XPD...but thats just my .02 cents

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
FWIW I used to use it, never had an issue, but I also never saw a gain. Took a Pontiac Gasser to over 300K WITHOUT an additive. If I had used one I'd probably be swearing by it now, even though it wouldn't have been why it lasted so long. I've used it in older vehicles to raise oil pressure but now will use STP if anything based on input from more than a few mechanics/gearheads. I won't use an additive in the D-max. I'm switching now to synthetic. I'll go with a good oil over attempting to make regular better.

BTW Rotella is a good oil IMHO. I see no reason to use an additive.

Edit: ^^ I believe he is looking at OIL additives, not a Diesel Additive. (I DO use a Diesel Additive.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts