Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vendor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This build is already complete, but I'll try and cover it as best as I can with the pics I have ( not enough ) and remember the details as much as I can. This project started in Jan 2014 and I wrapped it up this summer. No, it did not actually take that long, but hard to dedicate everyday to work on it.

I started with a 2008 Chevy retired govt issue border patrol truck. I was able to purchase it locally for 14,500 which I thought was a pretty good deal. I wanted a fully loaded truck but could not bring myself to spend close to 40k on a fully loaded unit. As it turns out, that was my first mistake..

I was able to drive it about a month, 6.0 with the 6L90 trans. Not a bad truck really for the money I figure.

I knew I wanted the GMT900 body style and was planning to swap in a LMM so the architecture matched.

Attachments

·
Vendor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea why the pictures are displaying sideways, so I apologize for that.

The motor is set in place for mockup along with the transmission. I opted for the 2" body lift approach. This not only made getting the engine in easier, but also ensured I would not have any fitment issues around the trans as well. Also, it allows a core support from the truck to fit right in so that the coolers from a truck could be all used. Its all a bolt in thing at this point. The engine mounts that bolt to the frame get removed and the diesel frame mounts bolt right in, and the trans cross member slides 1" and it all drops in.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,082 Posts
Sub a dub

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
subd

·
Vendor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For kicks and grins, I put the front end back on to see how it all fit, to my surprise, very little effort required to make it all fit again.

It was around this time I was contemplating coolers, core support changes etc. One goal I had was to make it look like it was supposed to be that way. If it did not look factory, that kind of defeated the purpose to me.

In went the truck core support which bolted right in place to the burb fenders and with the body being up 2" it allowed the lower "dip" in the core support to clear. The "dip" in the LBZ/LMM core allows the truck radiator and intercooler to drop right in.

I chose to stay with the factory SUV AC condenser since it was actually bigger to accommodate the rear AC. The rest of the truck components were mocked into place, including the battery mounts, ECM mount, air box mounts, fan shrouds etc. The SUV AC compressor mounts low and on the pass side of the engine, the diesel high and on the drivers side. I was able to use a truck AC line from the compressor to the top of the condenser after making a new hard line at the condenser and crimping it to the OE line. The stock radiator hoses fell right in place, as did the hot and cold side intercooler piping.

The SUV came with hydroboost so that kept things real simple as far as brakes and steering assist.
This left heater pipes, integration in to the rear AC and of course the electron paths.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts