Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, been itching for one for a long time now, and found myself with a bunch of scrap metal and some free time and made one. Overall the project cost me about $100 in material (paint, welding electrodes, blades etc) plus some LED tractor lights from Tractor Supply. Definitely happy with the results. Here's some pics of it finished as well as throughout the building process.

Not bad for a bunch of drift metal, right?

Reactions: llyschaffer

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Ok now thats wicked :thumb

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The white bowtie I wasn't sure about at first, but it's really grown on me.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
:thumb

·
Registered
21 Posts
do you have a patent on it? :poke[1]: cause you got my gears tuning now. :rolleyes:

·
Ya play hard Ya pay hard
428 Posts
Thats sweet!!!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I bet you could sell a few of those. Looks sharp.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts

·
There,wolf...There,castle
1,488 Posts
Not a fan of the racks but I have to say that is some good work and looks good as well. Nice job

·
Registered
222 Posts
i've been trying to decide which one to buy for my truck, and you might have just convinced me to build my own. Looks great! what size tubing is that? and do you have any more pics of the mounting bracket area? nice job

·
Registered
361 Posts
That's sweet, first thing those light were really less the 100$ at TSC?? An I prob would have maid the bow tie a little smaller cause my luck I would put a log strait through the middle. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feed back guys, I'm glad you guys like it as much as I do!

what size tubing is that? and do you have any more pics of the mounting bracket area? nice job
The tubing is 2" square stock with 1/4" walls. I'll see about getting some pictures of the mounts. I basically just welded angle iron to the base, notched out a piece for it to fit over the back rail of the bed and then I drilled holes threw the toolbox and angle iron/bed and mounted it with grade 8 1/2" bolts.

That's sweet, first thing those light were really less the 100$ at TSC?? An I prob would have maid the bow tie a little smaller cause my luck I would put a log strait through the middle. Lol
They were about that. I think they may have been $60 a piece. Honestly not too bad for LED tractor lights imo. And yeah, I did the bowtie pretty rough at first and just kind of went with it. I could do with it being just a little smaller, but overall I'm pretty happy with it's size/protection.

Flexible LED strips inside the bowtie!!!

Red and wire to your brake lights or white and wire to your reverse lights.
I was actually thinking about doing something like that but with a different type of lighting. They have this light tube that has a plasma in it and when it vibrates it turns the lights on (high frequency vibration from an electronic source, not from the truck vibrating). They use it for those dance crew light suits and though it would be neat to play with it but in the end I decided against it because I thought it would be just a little bit overkill haha.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the positive feedback :neener

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice work man, I like it!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
did you specialty mount it or did the bed rails have a mount? This looks sick!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looks very nice, I need to do me something like this. I love the lights. Beats the shit out of the stock cargo light. :)

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Nice job on the Bowtie!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts