Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a deposit down on a 2005 CCSB 4x4 sierra slt tonight, 141k miles, banks 6 gun, banks exhaust & ram air. Clean local adult owned to uck in my area, hopefully it'll be good for a lot more miles. I'm supposed to finish the purchase Monday morning.

My last diesel was a 2001 f-250 7.3 PS super cab 4x4 which I sold 9 years ago. Since then I've been in numerous 1/2 ton 4x4s but always missed the diesel.

I've been reading on these forums for the last couple of weeks, awesome info. :neener

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Welcome

·
WOOD... man!
4,209 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome! Enjoy the truck!

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Welcome

·
Premium Member
10,442 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the truck, hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm ready to get it tomorrow and start filling it up with my junk!

·
Registered
956 Posts
first thing you need to do is take that banks junk off and get it tuned with a reputable tuner. Also welcome to the dmax world you will not be dissapointed

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
first thing you need to do is take that banks junk off and get it tuned with a reputable tuner. Also welcome to the dmax world you will not be dissapointed
Elaborate for me please, I'm new to the duramaxes. What's your recommendation? I mainly tow a bay boat and a small welding rig. Neither weigh over 7000 pounds.

Most of the signatures have edge and efi live, I'm assuming that's the best?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, efi is the best. It allows tuners to adjust every engine parameter and tune to your needs and wants. I would keep the exhaust and intake, just ditch the oiled filter if it has one. It can cause MAF problems if it's not oiled correctly.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Elaborate for me please, I'm new to the duramaxes. What's your recommendation? I mainly tow a bay boat and a small welding rig. Neither weigh over 7000 pounds.

Most of the signatures have edge and efi live, I'm assuming that's the best?
Yeah sorry didnt want to start a tuner against tuner war. When I had my lbz i towed a 35ft gooseneck with any and everything you could put on it and I first started off by putting a 4 inch mbrp exhaust on and edge juice (big mistake) but at the time I didnt know any better. So wasted the money on the banks with iq, once again big mistake. That thing gave me more problems then I care to mention but after recieving 3 different iqs and 6 guns, i finally had enough and got my money back. So after talking to a few fellow duramax guys and finding out about efi live, I called Nick over at duramax tuner the next week and had him tune my truck.

Mind you my truck was all stock except for the 4 inch exhaust, as the stock intakes on the lbzs are more then enough to be able to push close to 500 hp without needing more air. With efi you tell the tuner what your wanting to do, be it go fast all the time, tow or both they can fit your needs with what your looking for. Especially if your not wanting to purchase a new trans anytime soon. Hope this helps

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Picked it up today.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Welcome to the forums. If you are just towing light i don't think the banks setup you have is bad at all..EFI live is good but there is really no need in spending the extra money when you have a perfectly functional tuner, unless you plan on modifying the truck. EFI live is arguably the best, and easiest mod to do to these trucks as long as you don't really crank the truck up. Then things start breaking. A safe tune for a stock truck is about 75HP. The allison tranny in the 05 is a 5 speed, which is a bit weaker than the newer 6 speed trucks. I have been running EFI live for about 2 years on the light tow setting with no problems, but i drive like an old man.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really don't plan to try to get more power out of it. My boat and other tow needs are not over 7000#. I'm probably going to run what I have for a few miles ...

From my research so far I think egr removal, LBZ mouthpiece & pcv reroute are about the only things that I may do in the near future. It has the banks monster exhaust & ram air as well as the 6 gun tuner & touchscreen of course.

But I'm always open to suggestions.

I'm not a racer or a mudder any longer in my older age (I'm 41!!)

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
welcome, I have family in Mobile and Spanish Fort and Dolphin Island

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
welcome, I have family in Mobile and Spanish Fort and Dolphin Island
We love this area, it's a great place to raise a family. (And fish!!!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts