Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...recently I have been getting the MAF sensor performance code on my truck. I forget the actual number because I keep having to clear it while driving. I thought it might have just been from towing(which is mainly what I use the truck for now) so I tried cleaning the MAF sensor and drove it home today. Within 15 miles the code came on again...

Sensor looks perfect and the truck drives perfectly fine till the code comes on but I am assuming I need a new MAF sensor? Anyone have any insight before I buy one? Anything else I should look for or try?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Stock air box? Paper air filter? If not put the stock setup back on & see if the code returns.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Next time it happens jot down the code.
Thats the best place to begin.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The code is P0101 and I do not have a K&N.

Code did not show up all weekend or on my drive to work this morning(only about 80 miles), so maybe it is gone? Not sure though...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thang but mines throwing p102. Iv tried it all to i just hate to throw that much money out on a dum little sensor but i guess thats the only choice i have left.

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
Mine threw the same code till I deleted it....no problems since, the last 15k miles anyways

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
One thing that will cause the P0101 is to much airflow, if it comes up again see if you can get a MAF g/s reading. You should be able to with your CTS, I have mine set as one of my PID'S.
Also when cleaning your MAF sensor be very careful don't touch anything below the mounting screw housing.
One other thing, contact your tuner and find out what parameters was set on your MAF when they did the tune. They can change the parameter allowing more airflow.
You said your still using the paper filter, the MAF reading should be in the mid 20's to low 30's. If yours is higher than about 42 then your filter isn't sealed properly with the paper filter.
GM did a update in 08 to allow up to 42 g/s above this you'll get a code, to many issues even with people using the stock airfilters.
This MAF g/s reading is in park and engine idling.

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
^^ I have a functional hood scoop as well and I told kory about it and the code. May be why I haven't seen it. But I'll check mine tomorrow on my cts and see what they are...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing that will cause the P0101 is to much airflow, if it comes up again see if you can get a MAF g/s reading. You should be able to with your CTS, I have mine set as one of my PID'S.
Also when cleaning your MAF sensor be very careful don't touch anything below the mounting screw housing.
One other thing, contact your tuner and find out what parameters was set on your MAF when they did the tune. They can change the parameter allowing more airflow.
You said your still using the paper filter, the MAF reading should be in the mid 20's to low 30's. If yours is higher than about 42 then your filter isn't sealed properly with the paper filter.
GM did a update in 08 to allow up to 42 g/s above this you'll get a code, to many issues even with people using the stock airfilters.
This MAF g/s reading is in park and engine idling.
Thank you for the info...I will check out my levels tomorrow.

Here is the filter that I replaced the stock one with back in August:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ABFUD0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Think that could be the problem? The code didn't start till about December so I didn't consider it at first. My intake itself is stock but with that filter.

Comments?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
8ualive how do you go about deleting it just have your efi live tuner do it for you? Is there any risks on deleting your maf?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I think the filter is setting the code-- bet if you go back to stock, it will go away. This has been reported before.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I believe a small boost leak will set 0101 too.
I recently had a small leak at the egr blocker that seemed to be the cause

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
8ualive how do you go about deleting it just have your efi live tuner do it for you? Is there any risks on deleting your maf?
No I didn't delete the maf, I deleted my truck and the code hasn't shown up yet. I forgot to look at my cts this morning to see what my airflow was. ill do it today on my way home if I can remember. I dunno why though that it has stopped since being deleted. I told Kory what it was doing and that I had a hood scoop and probably got more air than most from that. Look in my build thread and check my hood scoop. It really takes in a lot of air but I actually thought it was taking in water and that was throwing the code. But I put our pressure washer to the hood scoop while closed and watched it, no water made it through so that wasn't it. So I am actually kinda stumped as to why it is gone but im not complaining!! I had a superchips tuner on it before I deleted and that may have caused it I dunno...but its fixed now! :gearjamin

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
It's forced induction, a scoop isn't going to put any more air in the motor. The air might be a touch cooler/denser, but that shouldn't affect maf performance

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
No I didn't delete the maf, I deleted my truck and the code hasn't shown up yet. I forgot to look at my cts this morning to see what my airflow was. ill do it today on my way home if I can remember. I dunno why though that it has stopped since being deleted. I told Kory what it was doing and that I had a hood scoop and probably got more air than most from that. Look in my build thread and check my hood scoop. It really takes in a lot of air but I actually thought it was taking in water and that was throwing the code. But I put our pressure washer to the hood scoop while closed and watched it, no water made it through so that wasn't it. So I am actually kinda stumped as to why it is gone but im not complaining!! I had a superchips tuner on it before I deleted and that may have caused it I dunno...but its fixed now! :gearjamin
If by "deleted my truck" you mean the egr, that could have been the issue. Egr and maf issues often go hand in hand.

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
Yeah the water getting in there was my worry but I proved that to be wrong... all I know is im code free.....and emissions free as well!! ha

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
nope I haven't deleted the egr yet...... not even a blocker plate.....I know I need to do that like yesterday...

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Then what were you referring to when you stated you deleted your truck? You might be confusing the op, certainly confusing me :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.