Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of a MAF sensor getting corroded and causing fuel delivery to be altered? I did the common head gasket/ARP's this past winter and since then, I have had to clean my MAF sensor quite often becuase if not, the truck will run like crap... simply put. It will idle high on start-up for about 15 seconds then return to normal. That's when I know that its about to need cleaning. If I miss that, then it goes into this poor performance mode. A tune that usually can push 35psi of boost will max out at about 22... I then go home and pull and MAF spray clean it, pop it back in and its reset. So, having that said, does anyone have ANY ideas?:help

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
Are you using a k&n air filter or a oil saturated filter? Heard that the oil on the filter can dirty the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope... Stock intake. Tried different brands of filters even. It's got a good old Napa Filter in it now.

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
That was my best guess, maybe somebody more experienced can answer your question.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Sounds like something is getting on the MAF. You have a friend you can swap MAFs with and see if that's the problem?

I would personally go to a junk yard and buy a full LBZ intake setup including mouthpiece, intake, etc..

You would need to re-scale your MAF if you did this. Your tuner should be able to help you do that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like something is getting on the MAF. You have a friend you can swap MAFs with and see if that's the problem?

I would personally go to a junk yard and buy a full LBZ intake setup including mouthpiece, intake, etc..

You would need to re-scale your MAF if you did this. Your tuner should be able to help you do that.
Yeah I'm working on trying to find one, I should be more specific, I have a stock intake except for a AFE Mouthpeice. If I remember I will take pics of the sensor. Looks almost corroded to me a little but I'm not sure.

Thanks, Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Clean your Map sensor also, unfortunately it sounds like your Maf might be out of scale. See if a buddy will let you try there Maf to see if it really fixes your issue, and yes the Maf has alot to do with fueling, but so does the Map.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With my MAP sensor couldn't I just hook up EFI to it and run a diagnositic on it to see how it compares to my mechanical pressure gauge. Plus, the syndrom is fixed once I pull the MAF and clean it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here, I took some pics of the MAF sensor. The camera could not focus if any closer so these will have to do. You can see it on the outside the most. Looks like mold almost... then the resistor looks like it actually has a little small amount of rust on it.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
The map and maf work in conjunction with each other so if one is slightly off the other is working near the top or bottom of it's range to keep the truck efficient.
Corrision is never good on any electrical devise, that is surely the issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So with that in mind, Anyone in CNY that has a LLY that can sit for a few days?
:poke[1]:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts