Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17,583 Posts
It will be interesting to see what Banks offers....
I agree. I bet he starts producing aluminum covers that have the factory design. I have a maghytec and I'm going probably put the stock one back on. Can't wait to see the results.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen my share of pinion bearings go out. Thats clearly where the problem is, and where Banks is focusing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think you guys may be just buying into his hype.
First off he didn’t do the tests on the same truck. Stock style clear plastic was on an f-150, this latest one on a diesel ram. Hard to really compare when testing to see how design changes affect things when you don’t use the same design for all your testing.

Second, if you look at the pics I attached the stock cover and aftermarket both look identical as far as aeration goes after he stops. There were more visible bubbles in the ram When they were running but the ram also went longer and faster than the ford did which if you look closely also had bubbles.

Although I will agree with him that the factory design does do a better job of reducing turbulence, is the aftermarket really that bad?
Are temps higher/lower between the two to a great degree? Not really.
Are people running the aftermarket having premature failures? Not that I’m aware of. I put 200 000 on my mag hytec with no issues. And there seems to be as many bearing failures with and without the stock in my experience as well as others I’ve talked to about this same with the odd gear failure that happens.

At the end of the day I believe there is nothing wrong with either design. Realistically it’s just a splash lube housing. If there was a pump involved then that would change things maybe.

The only advantage I see really is having a top fill/dipstick which if I was to build one, I would just keep the stock design made out of Aluminum with external heat sink fins and add a dipstick to it.

I wouldn’t worry about it if anyone has one already on their truck. Looking for problems where there really isn’t one imo.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I think you guys may be just buying into his hype.
First off he didn’t do the tests on the same truck. Stock style clear plastic was on an f-150, this latest one on a diesel ram. Hard to really compare when testing to see how design changes affect things when you don’t use the same design for all your testing.

Second, if you look at the pics I attached the stock cover and aftermarket both look identical as far as aeration goes after he stops. There were more visible bubbles in the ram When they were running but the ram also went longer and faster than the ford did which if you look closely also had bubbles.

Although I will agree with him that the factory design does do a better job of reducing turbulence, is the aftermarket really that bad?
Are temps higher/lower between the two to a great degree? Not really.
Are people running the aftermarket having premature failures? Not that I’m aware of. I put 200 000 on my mag hytec with no issues. And there seems to be as many bearing failures with and without the stock in my experience as well as others I’ve talked to about this same with the odd gear failure that happens.

At the end of the day I believe there is nothing wrong with either design. Realistically it’s just a splash lube housing. If there was a pump involved then that would change things maybe.

The only advantage I see really is having a top fill/dipstick which if I was to build one, I would just keep the stock design made out of Aluminum with external heat sink fins and add a dipstick to it.

I wouldn’t worry about it if anyone has one already on their truck. Looking for problems where there really isn’t one imo.
That puts my mind a little more at ease. I have a new one in the box ready to install when I find time, and the Bank's video definitely had me doubting whether or not that was the right decision.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,352 Posts
Saw the video the other day on FB

11 minutes of good stuff right there!

I agree with Banks, they who designed the axle probably know better.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I've had mine on my truck for over 150k miles and have not had a single problem with my rear end. I don't see a link to the story that's knocking them though.

Edit: just found the videos. Will watch them tomorrow to kill time at work.

Side note is if he is right, now is the time to change mine out as it is at the dealership getting a new G80 installed. I don't blame that failing on the cover, but the guys who stole my truck and wrecked that a T-case and snapped a front axle, while fleeing from police.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, who's ever going to buy one again? Who's going to leave theirs on?

Total junk.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PMvVcsU3PE
The fact that the covers were tested on different trucks is irrelevant. The point is that curved covers help the oil follow the ring gear over to the pinion while the flat-back covers stop the oil from going over the ring gear. The oil hits the flat back with such force that it almost pops the flat acrylic cover off the dif cover. I know, I was standing behind the truck during the demonstration. The flat-back covers are working the oil fiercely. Now, the flat covers like the Mag-Hytec do aid in cooling the oil however, they add heat and degrade the oil by aerating it. FYI: the curved plastic cover also had issues. It had flat section at the top and bottom which made the oil waterfall before going over the ring gear. Final thought. It's not just about the longevity of the gears. It's about the work you're doing in the diff. It's taking horsepower to work the oil like this. This is horsepower that's not making it to the pavement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The fact that the covers were tested on different trucks is irrelevant. The point is that curved covers help the oil follow the ring gear over to the pinion while the flat-back covers stop the oil from going over the ring gear. The oil hit the flat back with such force that it almost popped the flat acrylic cover off the dif cover. I know, I was standing behind the truck during the demonstration. The flat-back covers are working the oil fiercely. Now, the flat covers like the Mag-Hytec do aid in cooling the oil however, they add heat and degrade the oil by aerating it. FYI: the curved plastic cover also had issues. It had a flat section at the top and bottom which made the oil waterfall before going over the ring gear. Final thought. It's not just about the longevity of the gears. It's about the work you're doing in the differential. It's taking horsepower to work the oil like this. This is horsepower that's not making it to the pavement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lol 🤣, here you guys go, I have your solution. If you’re still looking for that extra bling👌.

When Rock crawling meet sled pulling 🤔.

If you don’t like the flat back covers they are offering all you have to search foris: 14 bolt DEF covers.
Our Duramax trucks come with GM corporate 14 bolt rear ends. These 14 bolt axles have 3 pinion bearings that make them very strong. This axle is very popular with the rock crawling community. So the are a lot of after markets for for it.🖖

Attachments

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I must be missing something. What is the (quantifiable) problem that aftermarket diff covers are meant to solve, and where is the (quantifiable) evidence that any aftermarket diff covers solve said problem?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,297 Posts
Supposed to be a heat problem....that their flashy fins dissipate.
But temp probe tests have shown temps to not be an issue.

·
Registered
17,583 Posts
The fact that the covers were tested on different trucks is irrelevant. The point is that curved covers help the oil follow the ring gear over to the pinion while the flat-back covers stop the oil from going over the ring gear. The oil hit the flat back with such force that it almost popped the flat acrylic cover off the dif cover. I know, I was standing behind the truck during the demonstration. The flat-back covers are working the oil fiercely. Now, the flat covers like the Mag-Hytec do aid in cooling the oil however, they add heat and degrade the oil by aerating it. FYI: the curved plastic cover also had issues. It had a flat section at the top and bottom which made the oil waterfall before going over the ring gear. Final thought. It's not just about the longevity of the gears. It's about the work you're doing in the differential. It's taking horsepower to work the oil like this. This is horsepower that's not making it to the pavement.
So is Gale going to be coming out with his own aftermarket cover that is designed like stock?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Supposed to be a heat problem.
I have seen plenty of OEM covers, with the paint blistered clean off!

Clearly, heat can be an issue.

I'm guessing the Banks cover will have a ramp built into the cover on the upper edge, that actually extends into the axle housing, that will direct oil up and over the ring gear, and towards the pinion.

:wink2:

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,376 Posts
What a great video to promote Banks improved Diff Covers

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,297 Posts
I have seen plenty of OEM covers, with the paint blistered clean off!

Clearly, heat can be an issue.
Yeah, if you're paint. :rolleyes:
Did ya ever consider the harsh road environment may play a bigger part than heat? Or the thin metal expanding, vs the same paint on the axle that doesn't peel?

It doesn't matter how much the load is, what the grade is, and/or how long you go trying to pull that 40' TH up Mt. Everest, probe testing has shown the rear diff on our HD runs around 190-200*.
Which the required Syn 90w lube handles just fine. (rated service being 30k miles/severe duty, which = towing).

Banks should be paying each owner an advertising fee, running around with their tag on the truck nuts. :teehee

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Interesting videos. I have seen 4 of them. It looks like that is all for right now.

As Mr Banks said, he is trying to determine if there is a benefit to the bigger covers. He has the equipment, facilities and determination to scientifically test different covers to see what works and what is hype. He also says his testing is not perfect, but should show some pros and cons of stock vs flat back which should help him make a better product to sell. I won't buy it for my stock truck, but I certainly will not use a flat back cover if given to me.

He is a salt flat racer and will spend thousands of dollars for a few more hp or mph. Most of us won't/can't do that. Whether you like him or not, he is a successful racer and business leader. I do not have any of his products and have seen hype for and against his stuff. I just think he is smart guy to listen to.

The ring gear not pumping the oil up to the pinion gear was the biggest surprise to me with the flat back. The gears mesh point is where the heat is generated so that appears to be where you need the oil to dissipate the heat. The higher fluid level seemed to cause frothing which is bad in several different ways. Another comparison would be for a racing system that has a remote tank with a cooler and a pump.

I know that I have learned from his videos and would like to see what else he figures out. Bad part is that is just ain't 'merican for more oil not to be better.:surprise:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts