Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i need some advice, i just dropped about 600 bucks on the magnaflow exhaust system. I got the 4 inch pipe from the cat back and a 5 inch chrome tip. I got to tell you it looks really nice with that 5 inch tip thats almost 2 feet long but the sound is not what i expected. dont get me wrong it sounds deeper but its not loud at all! you can hear it a little bit if i gun it but then i literally watch my gas gauge drop when i do that!:confused: I thought it would be pretty loud considering my bro's has the same thing on his powerstroke but i guess not, any ideas to make that baby scream, i mean i want people to just go DAMN when i fly by them you know...appreciate any help or ideas you guys have, thanks:help

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Since it has a cat i assume its a lly, right? TO get any sound from a lly you must remove the cat and the muffler! The tight turbo exhaust housing of the vvt really cuts down on the exhaust sound!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since it has a cat i assume its a lly, right? TO get any sound from a lly you must remove the cat and the muffler! The tight turbo exhaust housing of the vvt really cuts down on the exhaust sound!
its a 07 LBZ

·
3,162 Posts
ok, the lbz has the vvt also, Remove the cat if you want it louder, and if thats not enough you have to loose the muffler! and if thats not enough you might have to look into a fixed vane turbo but no cat and no muffler should be loud enough!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have a customer here with an 06 LBZ with MBRP duals and we are going to be pulling the muffler out cause its way to quiet. Ca is gone, MBRP muffler, still to quiet. Just straight pipe it and get it over with!:fart

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i don't mean to tell you what to do,but put a straight on it or if you want the loudest avalible then go with a 5" turbo back.a friend of mine has a 06 cummins with the stock pipe made into a straight and my 06 lbz with the 5" magnaflow turbo back screams louder then mine friends cummins.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info everyone i appreciate it, now without the muffler what does it sound like or sound similar to?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an 07 lbz with 4 inch turbo back MBRP with no cat and it still is not very loud but you get that cool sounding turbo whine. There is not much to the MBRP muffler so a straight pipe might be what you are looking for if you what it louder. Remember the Duramax is a superior motor to the Cummings and Powerstroke it will always quieter and smoother.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea thats funny you said that because it seems like since i got the new exhaust system that the turbo got alot louder, i dont know if its my imagination but i swear i can hear it alot more?? does anyone know if you can put a blow off valve on our turbos, by buddy had one on his eclipse like 10 years ago and i remember it sounded cool when he shifted gears, it was a Greddy...anyone have one on their truck?:rockin

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can buy just the straight pipe from the turbo to your exsisting magnaflow system from them or other high performance exhusts sytems for around $100 bucks. Better yet if you have friend at a muffler shop that will make you one. I would take the cat off first. I do not know about blowing the valve off but more than likely you will be doing your turbo a favor by lowering egt's.:cool:

·
3,162 Posts
A blow off valve really would not do anything as there is no butterfly in the intake closing to cause a sudden surge in boost in the intake!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts