Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks. I've about gotten out of the max'd out duramax mindframe and want to just be happy with what I have now. (kids planned in the next year) so with mods in my sig what are some suggestions to be done to ensure a long life from my duramax. I'm changing the oil with amsoil and filters. Suggestions not limited to anything. I need advice on front end and motor. Rarely pull or race. Just want a good looking and durable truck for years to come. I have the egr delete and PCV reroute kit in the mail and plan on installing next week. Lemme hear em. I am thinking efi just for mileage but I'm getting 19 or so hwy with my edge and 15 in the city. No more built trans and twins in my future.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would do an AirDog II for pure fuel.

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 165?

·
Registered
897 Posts

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
The mods in your signature look good including your wish list except the intake.

I would recommend getting a trans cooler before a deep pan. I assume you mean deep pan by "Allison 1000 Pan"?

Also a Transgo Jr, AirDog 2 165, and either an Edge Insight CTS or gauges.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Get EFI Live from Rob and a Air Dog lift pump. I wouldn't worry about the air intake either unless you are going for big power. I have had AFE, Banks and S&B intakes and didn't notice any difference really to make it worth it. Just do the PPE mod to the stock intake. JMHO

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. Lift pump, TransGo, trans cooler. I really just want the intake to hear a little more whistle. I'm cutting the muffler off this week. I have the edge Evo for gauges for now. Isn't that pretty comparable to the insight. I like the gauges on the pillar pod to but if I have the Evo then not really any sense in swapping to manual gauges or the insight is there? Is that about it for the front end. Just sleeves? I've been looking at some front end kits from dmax store. I do plan on getting efi just wanting to do ALL the minor things first

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a reason to try and get any oil in the filter before putting it back on. It sits damn near sideways.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I fill mine to the top and let the filter absorb the oil while the old oil is draining out of the truck. That way it has some oil in it with out it pouring out when you put the filter on.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Lift pump, TransGo, trans cooler. I really just want the intake to hear a little more whistle. I'm cutting the muffler off this week. I have the edge Evo for gauges for now. Isn't that pretty comparable to the insight. I like the gauges on the pillar pod to but if I have the Evo then not really any sense in swapping to manual gauges or the insight is there? Is that about it for the front end. Just sleeves? I've been looking at some front end kits from dmax store. I do plan on getting efi just wanting to do ALL the minor things first
Sell the Evo and buy an Insight. The insight has gauges without power.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Is there a reason to try and get any oil in the filter before putting it back on. It sits damn near sideways.
DO NOT pre-fill filters.

Depending how it's filled you introduce unfiltered fluids.

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DO NOT pre-fill filters.

Good deal. I just changed mine with amsoil oil and oil filter and just spun it on, filled it up and cranked it. Checked for leaks. All good. It did take a while for the oil pressure to come up. By power on the insight you mean tunes? I like the tunes from the Evo. I usually leave it on 3-4. It seems to get good mileage on 3. I didnt mean in the original post that I didn't want a tuner. Just didn't want to build the truck any more just to handle more power.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Good deal. I just changed mine with amsoil oil and oil filter and just spun it on, filled it up and cranked it. Checked for leaks. All good. It did take a while for the oil pressure to come up. By power on the insight you mean tunes? I like the tunes from the Evo. I usually leave it on 3-4. It seems to get good mileage on 3. I didnt mean in the original post that I didn't want a tuner. Just didn't want to build the truck any more just to handle more power.
EFI Live will replace the tunes on the EVO, you then buy an Edge Insight for gauges.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
DO NOT pre-fill filters.

That is good to know. I will not pre-fill filters any more than. Thanks

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EFI Live will replace the tunes on the EVO, you then buy an Edge Insight for gauges.
Agh I got ya. Yeh that was recommended from a few other people too. Yeh that's the route I was thinking

1 - 16 of 16 Posts