Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m wanting to find a good log book for my truck. Does anyone have any recommendations of a log book that’s well laid out and user friendly?

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
So I’m wanting to find a good log book for my truck. Does anyone have any recommendations of a log book that’s well laid out and user friendly?
mycarfax.com

You can set up your garage and keep track of the maintenance on whatever number of vehicles, set the maintenance parameters, and be reminded when something is due.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Man, I just write my stuff down on a sticky note I keep in my center console, just to keep track of the last change. Kind of wish I would have thought to do something like this when my truck still had low miles, just to show a trends and history.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I just bought my truck 16 gmc with 8,500 miles on it and want to get that organized while it’s still early on. Just wondering if there are log books that are organized with areas that will make keeping the maintenance on a diesel simpler.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
If you log in to the free printables website and enter automotive maintenance (or whatever) in the search box it'll give you all kinds of options. I use one of the scheduling forms and have everything on it, cars, mowers, tractor, compressors, and so on and then have a sheet for each item to list the specifics. It didn't really take that long to set up and man does it save legwork in the long run. I also keep track of fuel purchases and mileage on a sheet in the vehicles so I can see when something's not right with one of them. It only took about a year to get my wife trained to do it with her car.

https://www.freeprintable.net/

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I change my oil when the DIC says ~50%, I tow a fifth wheel 5-6 trips/year, then truck does a lot of shorter winter trips, rough on oil. I write the mileage on trans and oil filters with a felt tip pen. Yellow stickies on my Bendpak lift remind me of the other stuff, like trans fluid double drain, I gave up logbooks years ago....

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Vinwiki

It's like Carfax but you can add your own details.

·
Registered
249 Posts
In the door of my truck is a 'rite-in-the-rain' surveyors level note book I've marked into columns. ALL gas ($ per gallon cents per mile MPG fuel grade (for the gas rigs) Odometer, maintenance, trip mileage, trip notes.. tires, shocks, belts, or ANY part.. whatever goes on or in that truck gets logged. Everything goes in that book and it gets scanned once a month for tax records and so I know wtf had been done and WHEN. I also bought a little box of the oil change reminder clear plastic 'cling' stickers from amazon ( for inside at the top of the windshield like the old school service stations used as a oil change reminder)

FYI I've had books on these trucks for 250,000 miles and the biggest issue is that random time the window is down and rain hits it,, most paper logs fall apart. Ivue used the rite-in-the-rain field books in my business since the late 70's and have some historical survey logs from the early 1900's ,, and many from the 30's and 40's. The pages have a waterproof coating and the glue that puts it together is waterproof. They are just a rugged-ass book! If you want something to carry in-cab,, and if you plan to keep the truck (log) for a long time,,, consider the rite-in-the-rain stuff. and remember,,, you get what you pay for

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have Gmail, you can use Google docs to document everything, plus you have instant access to it. I basically set up a spread sheet to log fill ups, miles and any service with the date. https://www.google.com/docs/about/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts