Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I have the 07 Classic with the Bose. I currently have an Alpine IVA-D310 flip out in my truck (want to replace soon) hooked up to the factory speakers and also hooked up to the MTX Thunderfowm Box with built in amp for behind the seat. Now, My question is how can i make the speakers louder? I have tried all the settings on my deck. My deck maxes out at 35, but when i turn up the volume it maxes out at 18 and wont go any louder if you go to a number past that point. Also during a movie so its quiet at max volume that i can barely even hear it. I have tried adjusting the volume imput on the adapter module that i had to use to put the deck in. I am tempted to pull the Flip Out out of the truck and put the factory back in and try and hook it up to the subs. How hard is it to hook the factory six disc up to the MTX Thunderforms?

Also with the MTX Thunderforms, is it possible to get more out of them? The built in amp is only 200w RMS and i dont think that is enough for these two 10" MTX Thunder 4500's. Is it possible to somehow hook these subs up to an aftermarket amp in that box? Or would it be possible to pull the subs, and put two 10" Alpine Type S subs in their place hooked up to an aftermarket amp? I am quite disapointed in these subs for the money as they aren't as loud as they should be. It looks really good in my truck though, thats all i am impressed with as i didnt have to remove that flap and it blends with the factory interior so well.

Thanks

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
i have 2 kicker comp vr's running on a 750 watt kicker amp.....but MTX...meh I wouldn't push them....not exactly the Cadillac of subs

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
you could put new subs in there but i would be careful as the size of the box might hurt the new subs

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being i just bought these subs not long ago i was thinking of selling them to my dad already being you can hook these up to the stock deck. I just like how clean this box looks in the truck. I would like to put either Alipne 10 Type S's, Rockford Fosgate Punch P2's (if they will fit) or Kicker CVR's.
Like, these subs have enough power to shake the mirrors slightly and shake the dome light slightly, but its nothing that will blow anybody away. I have one 12" Kicker CVX in my Camaro hooked up to a ZX750.1 amp and it its twice as loud as these two 10's.

Anybody out there put two 12's of some make (not the super thin subs) behind the back seat in a nice sealed box? My MTX box has 1.5 cubic feet of airspace and there is room for more back there, but is it possible to do two 12's?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
my cvrs....will make your voltage gauge dim if you crank it lol...

it will be beyond looking in the mirrors.

Granted its not the loudest thing I've ever owned...but i still have full function of my backseat too.

think i paid 75 bucks per sub and 200 for amp.....box was 250-ish....or somewhere around that from subthump.com

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have a friend that I sold two kicker soloclassics to with a sub thump box, he says it fits, It didn't in my truck, still hav a Amp for sale, Its a Kicker 750.1 sub amp. oh yeah, A-OEM-GM24 is the write one to hook to our trucks with bose systems.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually i think i found the problem now. I looked on the MTX website and each sub is rated for 225w RMS and the built in amp is only 200w RMS between the two subs. Also each sub is recommended for a minimum of .75 cubic feet for a sealed box, and the box is 1.5 cubic feet, so its right on the small side for a box.

I looked at those boxes on Sub Thump, but they dont look like theres alot of cubic feet for a behind the seat box as compared to what i got now.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Ya, it depends on the subs, no sense buying something new.

I have a 12" JL W3D4 in mine, and it's way more responsive than it's ever been.

I never had much luck with 10's.... I upsized to the 12 and have been real happy.

My single 12 has much more bass with the 500w monoblock than my old twin 10's.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do know that about 75% on how a sub sounds is the box.
How did you manage to find a twelve in your truck?
Also that adaptor i have is made by Axxess and is the GMOS-04
Anyone ever manage to fit two 10" Alpine Type R's in there truck?
I looked on the websites and Kicker CVR's wont fit in my box, but Alpine Type S's will. How hard would it be to put two of these in and bypass the built in amp for an external amp? Or even running an external amp to the MTX Thunder 4500's?
I can pull the Kicker 750 outta my car if needed to try it, just dont know what ohm these subs are yet, or how to get speaker wire from the subs, to the external amp?

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
I just put my old JL 12 in my subthump box with my trusty 500/1 JL amp. Works pretty dam good with the LPL controller.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have a friend that I sold two kicker soloclassics to with a sub thump box, he says it fits, It didn't in my truck, still hav a Amp for sale, Its a Kicker 750.1 sub amp. oh yeah, A-OEM-GM24 is the write one to hook to our trucks with bose systems.
how much for amp bro if u still have it

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Before we get to far here. Back to my original question, how can i make the bose louder with my deck? Ive tried almost everything, should i just put the factory deck back in?

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
what are you prepared to do????

my cvrs....will make your voltage gauge dim if you crank it lol...

Granted its not the loudest thing I've ever owned...but i still have full function of my backseat too.
Exactly why i have taken the effort I have,tha thing HITS and I have my backseat!:D
Before we get to far here. Back to my original question, how can i make the bose louder with my deck? Ive tried almost everything, should i just put the factory deck back in?
You have to pay to play..........The Bose id=s only gonna give so much.....Do you want the highs louder,or the bass or what??If you want the highs louder then upgrade to a decent component set that replaces the factory speakers,then to compliment that use a QUALITY amp[damn people do not undersatnd that my Fosgate 450S will blow away a Pyramid of say 1500 watts....WHY??????The RMS watts and the THD factor are whats the deal!![total harmonic destortion]
To make the Bose louder,did you tap the wires for the signal[means the PAC adapter] AFTER the Bose factory amp?It is under the dash in the middle on top tranny hump almost.....If you get the signal before it'll sound like crap!!
When you buy car audio remember ONE thing............tight ass pays twice!!!!!!cheap equipment sounds like cheap equipment............period man
SPL.........sound pressure level
SQL ............Sound quality level.......ask yourself what you want.......
I have decent mix,kept my factory highs[now they do not make ya ears bleed,but they'll do I have Memphis speakers I can use anyways]..............2 Kicker cvr 10 inch subs in a 97Chev down fire box against the REAR of my cab with the front seat scooted 2 3/4 inches.........still retain full use of my rear seat!!!!!:D

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
daddysLBZ, Do you have any pictures of your set up. When i tapped in for my deck i used just the Adaptor that i had gotten and everything hooked up fine. It has RCA imputs that i had to run from the deck. As for the subs i had just run them off the deck like a normal stereo.
Now, the bose (Highs,Mids,and factory bass) was overall louder when i had the factory 6-disc in my truck. Being my deck is 5 years ish old, could it be finally screwing up?

Right now i think i am gonna try either an external amp on the subs and see if that works any better (if i can run wires from the subs to the amp with the box still being sealed) or i might just end up selling this set up and go all out on the stereo in this thing.

As far as SPL and SQL i want a good mixture of both, I want good sound quality out of the speakers and i want a decent amount of bass that you can actually feel and not just hear.
-Where im from everybody tells me how good bose is but to me its either mines worn out or its garbage to my ears.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bose = BLOWS

Daddy's LBZ said it best - You get what you pay for. Especially when it comes to stereo equiptment. I personally would not pay anything extra for the Bose as you can do MUCH better for the same or less $$$ with aftermarket components. I have never been impressed w/ the factory upgrades from any automaker for what you have to pay to get them, Bose especially. I'm not sure if you did, guess it doesn't really matter at this point.

Anyway, if I were you I would be spending my money on aftermarket instead of trying to get the Bose to sound better. If you can do it w/out spending much $$$, go for it, but otherwise they aren't worth the investment.

Just remember, when you start out with a turd (Bose), no matter how much you polish it, when your finished it's still a turd.:rof:rof:rof

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
I personally think the Bose system is overrated for these trucks.... As you know now the mtx setup is underpowered by half. Daddyslbz hits it right on. Rms and thd are most important when selecting an amp. Personal opinion here.... Max power don't mean sh$t. More for visual effect. People see ooooooh 1500 watt max and get it meanwhe rms is 400 rms and thd is like .5 for example....you want a low % thd. I got my front bose speakers connected to me Bose fronts with a jl 4 channel bridged into 2 channels and the. Bose are loud as hell and clear. Add an aftermarket amp to them Bose speakers they sound good withreal power goin to them. You won't be disappointed. I've been playin with car stereo stuff for 12 years and I used to want loud loud loud but now Clarity is most important to me than loudness. Not knocking anyone but i think it's funny when people say awe these subs suck!!!!! Meanwhile they are totally underpowered like the mtx unit you have, add another matching amp to that and it's a whole different story now. Properly matching components is key and good brand choices is a great benefit. With that said I've seen so e cheapie subs perform well...

·
Registered
168 Posts
you could pull the factory amp and replace it with a stronger one, those bose speakers can handle it. i know on mine i just replaced the factory radio with a radio with a built in amp so it kind of double amps the factory speakers and it definantly gets the job done.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
As for the subs i had just run them off the deck like a normal stereo.
hmmm.........that won't work......No pics but its exactly as I posted it,down fire box from 97chev/gmc ex cab full size truck FIRING at the REAR of the cab!!it no more difficult than that,the cvr's have a mount depth of 6 5/8 so it had to go behind,ive built two others though,if you can read a tape and use a saw and drill get busy.......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts