Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

4541 - 4560 of 4603 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,541
Ahhh sheet
Looks damn good Matt. Can't wait for the first rolling video!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I’m getting pretty excited to get it running down the road again! Installing a drive pressure gauge to hopefully help me keep an eye on things, and from over over-speeding the vgt turbo to much. It’d be nice to just enjoy it for awhile now. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
Real nice Matt! Practical question - how in the hell do you get the turbo oil drain down or the lower bolts on the up pipe?

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,543
Real nice Matt! Practical question - how in the hell do you get the turbo oil drain down or the lower bolts on the up pipe?
They are actually not too terrible, it just takes the right combination of correct length socket, wobble extension or swivel, etc. The first time you ever do it makes you want to set the truck on fire, but it’s not bad once you figure it out. You’ve got to pull out the studs for the oil drain, then put them back in from the top after the turbo is in place, then the nuts on the studs. It’s a little bit tighter on mine with the oversized up pipes, but doable. I’ve got a unique collection of sockets that I’ve shortened between a deep and shallow socket, and some other stuff that got cut in half or trimmed. Just got to do what it takes lol.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Uppipe bolts have a special place in my soul. After swapping out everything on my LML, everything back together, go on first test drive. RPMs come up, turbo sounding real nice, and then the tell tale screech of a leaking uppipe. Almost the same as my LLY leaking blocker plate. Pic shows what I "forgot." Son still loves to remind me - offers to check anything I touch now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,545
Yeah, up pipes are “special”.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,220 Posts
What’s the torque on those up pipe bolts? Would replacing them with hex socket cap bolts make it easier?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Iirc its 39 or 40ftlbs. Ive never used a torque wrench on them and never had a leak. Replacing them with a hex head imo wouldnt make much a difference. They arent bad once youve done them before. On s300 s400s i use a ratcheting stubby wrench or n stock trucks a flex head ratchet with swivel socket on the bottom ones

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Iirc its 39 or 40ftlbs. Ive never used a torque wrench on them. Replacing them with a hex head imo wouldnt make much a difference. They arent bad once youve done them before. On s300 s400s i use a ratcheting stubby wrench or n stock trucks a flex head ratchet with swivel socket

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,549
39 ft lbs. Like Nic said, it’s really not bad at all once you’ve done them a few times. If I’d switch to anything, I’d change them to the 12 point ARP bolts. Those really do make it nice to keep a socket on them from slipping.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,550
Valve lash is set, and the valve covers are on.
Injectors are in and torqued down with SoCal billet hold downs and ARP studs. Hopefully I can get to the fuel rails and fuel lines on tonight, and maybe the valley turbo back on.

·
Registered
18,273 Posts
Valve lash is set, and the valve covers are on.
Injectors are in and torqued down with SoCal billet hold downs and ARP studs. Hopefully I can get to the fuel rails and fuel lines on tonight, and maybe the valley turbo back on.

Getting closer to that finish Line Mr.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Reactions: M.A.M.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
39 ft lbs. Like Nic said, it’s really not bad at all once you’ve done them a few times. If I’d switch to anything, I’d change them to the 12 point ARP bolts. Those really do make it nice to keep a socket on them from slipping.
That's what I did.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sorry Matt - I'll keep quiet and just watch!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Matt; how you supposed to get that thing back to pounding pavement if you're out gallivanting around in the wide hip gal? I assume that was you out working early this morning.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Looking good Matt it won't be long now said the friendly Mohel. LOL

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,559
Matt; how you supposed to get that thing back to pounding pavement if you're out gallivanting around in the wide hip gal? I assume that was you out working early this morning.
Ha, It’s been a real struggle finding the time to work on it. I’ve been busier this summer than I have been in a long time.

That was me all right. Left the house a little before three this morning, and loaded a little west of Zanesville. I’m guessing you saw me on 70, or was it 33?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I passed you somewhere between Buckeye Lake and Zanesville. That's dang early to load man! I figured you had loaded on Friday. I didn't leave the house till 5 so I'm guessing it was about 6:30 - 6:45.

They say it's good to be busy.

4541 - 4560 of 4603 Posts