Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1283 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Different members have stated that they're interested in how the L5P will work out for me (reliabity, issues, emissions, etc). I know that there are a few different threads started with turbo issues, and I'll throw a link in here to those threads, along with any other links/threads that might eventually show up.

This will be my place to keep track of any issues that might come up with my truck. I'll also track mileage in the first post here, once a month...

If anybody has links concerning the L5P powertrain, let me know, and I'll add them to the first page...

Mileage:
6/3/17 - 44k

L5P tapping/knocking noise when coasting???

2017-duramax-837-miles-engine-turbo-trouble

2017-l5p-blown-turbo-gasket

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had the 300 miles to empty warning come up for DEF, got a little over 5 gallons in. No idea how much was in the tank when I bought it, so we'll see what kind of consumption this tank shows, next time I fill up...

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you towing anything yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Towed my gooseneck around home a little, delivered a small travel trailer to WI yesterday. Headed back to pick up a decent sized 5er, looking forward to that. I'll get to tow that thru some PA-MD hills... Really wish that I had some way to monitor what's going on inside there. Wonder if we'll be able to monitor what looks like an EGT probe in the manifold?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I remember getting all sorts of funky looks pulling in the pumps backwards

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you called edge yet to see when they will have update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, they told me to check back in a month or two... Downerrr
I remember getting all sorts of funky looks pulling in the pumps backwards

Ha, they looked at me strange till they discovered what was happening, lol...

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Had the 300 miles to empty warning come up for DEF, got a little over 5 gallons in. No idea how much was in the tank when I bought it, so we'll see what kind of consumption this tank shows, next time I fill up...

This alone makes me NEVER want to get rid of my truck... C'mon GM, pull your heads out of your asses and do like Ford/RAM (I can't believe I just said that). :help

·
Registered
769 Posts
This alone makes me NEVER want to get rid of my truck... C'mon GM, pull your heads out of your asses and do like Ford/RAM (I can't believe I just said that). :help
All fine and good until you put DEF into your diesel tank. I know two separate Ford owners who've done this. Also with the fill under hood, it keeps the DEF from damaging your paint should any splash/spill when filling. Lastly, with the tank/fill on the right side, it leaves room for the 36 gallon diesel tank in a standard-bed truck vs 26. With more vehicle filling stations installing DEF pumps, the right-hand fill should be less a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All fine and good until you put DEF into your diesel tank. I know two separate Ford owners who've done this. Also with the fill under hood, it keeps the DEF from damaging your paint should any splash/spill when filling.
I agree... It's a bit of a pain, but it really takes away any chance of accidently filling it with diesel...

I usually fill at truck pumps so I don't really remember, but aren't the small diesel nozzles still to large to fit into the DEF spout??

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
All fine and good until you put DEF into your diesel tank. I know two separate Ford owners who've done this. Also with the fill under hood, it keeps the DEF from damaging your paint should any splash/spill when filling. Lastly, with the tank/fill on the right side, it leaves room for the 36 gallon diesel tank in a standard-bed truck vs 26. With more vehicle filling stations installing DEF pumps, the right-hand fill should be less a problem.
All valid points. :thumb

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I like my 36 gallon fuel tank. Ford can keep their 26

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
subd

·
Registered
162 Posts
Subd... I am OK filling it up under the hood, won't be driving mine as much as I drive my LBZ now, and it will hopefully fall off in 6 months to a year anyways haha

1 - 20 of 1283 Posts