Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1323 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Sorry to here about your troubles Matt curious to hear if the injection pump went out or not

Reactions: M.A.M.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,302
almost willing to bet there's a bearing starting to fail in your transfer case. don't know a damn thing about transfer cases but with all those miles and guessing on a basic level what's in there, I'd put decent money on a bearing.
Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Hope I can get it back together and working properly so I can sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Hope I can get it back together and working properly so I can sell it.

You gonna get a 2020 or a big truck?

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,304
Sorry to here about your troubles Matt curious to hear if the injection pump went out or not
The injection pump hasn’t totally failed, but it’s pretty weak. Pretty sure that what it is, since that’s not unusual for a cp3 at that mileage either.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Reactions: nashguy207

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,308
Started the HP4 swap this afternoon when I got home. Had the turbo and pump out in 90 minutes. Super easy to pull it, very easy to get to the 4 bolts in the front cover. Pulled the serpentine belt, they are very accessible with a wobble socket.

Turbo horn gets pulled first, then the alternator, and the y-bridge last. Nothing to mess with in the valley other than a few fuel lines, also very accessible.

Plan on installing it back in tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed this will solve the low rail pressure issue.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,311
Was a little confused by the timing mark on the pump gear. Didn’t think it was timed, but thot I better double check. No inspection port on the front cover, so not really any way to see in there to time it. Talked with a Kevin a bit, GM service manual doesn’t mention anything about it being timed. Verified with a few other guys, so it’ll be going straight back in tomorrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How many engine hours do you have now? I figure you have to be close to 10,000. I think you had around 6,000 engine hours when I asked you at around 200k miles.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,313
How many engine hours do you have now? I figure you have to be close to 10,000. I think you had around 6,000 engine hours when I asked you at around 200k miles.
I’ll check tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,314 (Edited)
Finished up the new injection pump install. Seems to be holding rail pressure much better just around town, haven’t pulled the loaded trailer yet. I’ll be running most everyday next week, so that should tell me for sure. Think I need to get a new passenger side intercooler pipe. The lock ring was broken, and the pipe looked like it was wanting to come off. Don’t need that drama on the road somewhere.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’m pretty sure I saw this truck yesterday on 39

Mike

Reactions: M.A.M.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,316
I’m pretty sure I saw this truck yesterday on 39

Mike
I saw you lol. You guys just out sightseeing, or over here camping?

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,318
The new injection pump took care of all of the rail pressure issues. Back to holding any speed I want it to up the hills LOL.

It had obviously been returning way too much fuel, because fuel temps would get pretty high. 140° +. Also discovered that the ECM will pull power once fuel hits 140°. Rail pressure won’t go any higher than around 21K.

Hopefully the transmission doesn’t do anything stupid now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The new injection pump took care of all of the rail pressure issues. Back to holding any speed I want it to up the hills LOL.

It had obviously been returning way too much fuel, because fuel temps would get pretty high. 140° +. Also discovered that the ECM will pull power once fuel hits 140°. Rail pressure won’t go any higher than around 21K.

Hopefully the transmission doesn’t do anything stupid next.

Matt, I've been reading your posts for some time now. How many miles are on your rig and what oil do you use in your Dmax?

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,320
Matt, I've been reading your posts for some time now. How many miles are on your rig and what oil do you use in your Dmax?
Just a little over 350,000 miles, use Rotella T4 every 5000 miles.

1301 - 1320 of 1323 Posts