Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have seen what the max is for my truck (recommended by chevy) but what could I actually put into the bed of my truck with out breaking stuff? I have the firestone airbags under the frame to axle so that may help a little. This is mostly a "your opinion" kinda thing

·
Registered
634 Posts

1800lbs. Most of the weight is hanging on my tailgate. I wouldnt ever suggest it again. I only did it because my tool box and cover are all caulked and sealed so water doesnt get in the bed so I didnt want to take them out. I was worried the whole time about my tailgate cables breaking but they didnt. The mounting bolts did bend ever so slightly though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about about 5000#? possibly more directly over the axle and forward? I am needing to haul drums that weight about 5K a piece and wanting to haul 2 at once for simplicity, I will only be moving them a total of 10-15 miles and unloading them. Just trying to see what my truck can do.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

1800lbs. Most of the weight is hanging on my tailgate. I wouldnt ever suggest it again. I only did it because my tool box and cover are all caulked and sealed so water doesnt get in the bed so I didnt want to take them out. I was worried the whole time about my tailgate cables breaking but they didnt. The mounting bolts did bend ever so slightly though.
that just looks scarey haha. i would have a heart attack worrying about it tipping off and back

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Thats alot but you can carry that with airbags. I haul 3,500 to 4,000 of hay on a regular basis in the bed without airbags, havent had any problems.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the 5k with airbags wouldnt be a problem and 2 5k drums short distance would be pushing it? or would 10k in bed total just be to much?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I wouldnt hesitate to put 5k in the bed with airbags but 10k is just crazy. I suppose if you NEED to haul 10k, place it in there and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, i may just take the extra time hauling one 5k drum at a time, its going to be a pain putting them into the bed but thats what i have to figure out before i can even consider even moving them. its going to be a pain...

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
What are you hauling? hope its scrap metal because you will be cashing in!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea its scrap metal haha and yea ill be cashing it in.

·
Registered
634 Posts
As you have seen I do some crazy things, but I wouldnt put 10k in the bed of my truck. Most air bag systems are rated for 5k. My trailer is only rated for 10k. putting 10K into your bed would be like putting a decent size skid steer in your bed. Isnt there anyone you could borrow a trailer from?

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you had a 1ton dually I would be tempted to try it but not on a 3/4 ton, especially a srw.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a gooseneck trailor myself but dont see any way possible to get a trailor to where my load is. it constricted of a space. I will probably just move the first 5k, get my trailor, load it up and then repeat for the second. Then I will only be having 5k in the bed at a time and only moving it a short distance to the gooseneck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think honestly the hardest part of it will be getting a ~5k lb barrel off the ground and into my bed.

·
Registered
634 Posts
How many barrels do you have to move and if you dont mind me asking what is in these that makes them weigh 5k?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just two and its lead, i am just estimating they are 5k lbs. a 55 gallon drum is 7.7 cubic feet equaling 13306 cubic inch times .39lb per cubic inch coming out to a little under 5150 and then lowering a little more for air space in the lead

·
Registered
634 Posts
Depending on how much you will be getting for the load I would suggest renting a skid steer. I dont see any way your are going to move 5k with out some sort of heavy equipment.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Getting 5k into the bed will be difficult. The weakest link in the payload capacity is your tire weight rating. Load range E 265/75 R 16 generally have a capacity of 3415 lbs per tire. That will be putting your 5K plus the weight of the bed, axles, springs, and anything else in the truck. You don't want to have a tire blow out while hauling that much weight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
hauled 6000 lb of firewood daily in the back of a 97 2500 gasser short box ext cab. it can do it. but im much happier with a trailer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
if the barrel is caped or is a solid piece and wont come out get ramps park your truck in a low spot and roll them in with a buddy. if they arnt capped and are loose empty enough u can lift it put it on the truck then fill it again??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts