Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a completely barebone stock 07 duramax lbz with 100,000 miles and here are the following upgrades I am looking at that I can afford; Turbo-back Straight 4" exaust, Banks Ram-Air Intake, Leveling Kit, and a tuner that I haven't decided on.

My question is is what is the maximum hp gain I can put on my tranny without breaking anything or decreasing the life of the tranny significantly? The two tuners i'm looking at are the PPE Xcelerator Economy or the Banks Six Gun. I have read before that PPE measures their gains at the crank but I don't know about banks. That being said please give safe max gain numbers measured at the crank not the rear wheels. This truck has to last me for a while and I am a poor college kid that can't afford any tranny upgrades or replacements for that matter.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
90 RWHP is safe on the trans unless you just ditch the intake and do a transgo jr shift kit. Then you will be able to hold a bit more power. They say you dont need an intake until you get over the 500HP mark.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Do the airbox mod, i would highly reccomend putting in a transgo, its pretty cheap insurance. With the transgo level 3 on the ppe is about the max you should run, its about 120 horse. Even with a 50 horse tune you can mess stuff up if your stupid with it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so a transgo shift kit would pretty much give me pretty good cushion on ppe level two? i'm not a big racer and i dont put my foot in it that much.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Yeah the 6 speeds are pretty strong as it is but with the transgo its give you a piece of mind knowing you have it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There is no way if I was keeping my truck form a long time and didn't want to build the trans. That I would run over a 60-80 hp tune even with a trans go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I Have a PPE Hot Race and my level 3 say 160 HP Gain, Is this right? And will my trans need mods to run this tune, My other option is a Level 2 tune at 90 hp? I am currently running a level 2 90hp

·
Registered
8 Posts
it all depends on how your truck has been driven from day one and what kind of chip or tune everything runs and is adjusted by computer for instance i have 297,000 hard miles on an 02 with a 150 tune in it since day one and sometimes stack with 220hp added rear wheel hp and i have never touch while my cousin has tha same truck and blew his tranny up with a bullydog powerpup (not ever 100rwhp) same senerio with my father hes got a 200hp efi live tune with no probs on an lbz and friend is slippen tranny in tha same year truck with a 132hp tune

·
Registered
877 Posts
safe and maximum hp dont really go together,but i know what you mean my daily driver tune is about 500rwhp been runnin it for the last 20,000 to 30,000 miles daily driving and towing on a stock tranny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts