Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright where to start. 04 6.0 powerstroke with 92k on the clock crapped out but was rebuilt under warranty. weary of its future, i am doing research. have a bunch of chevys in the stable, but never really liked the seats in the trucks. the new interior -2007- seems to be an improvement over recent versions.

what is the true skinny on the duramax? i looked at a 2007 3500 crew i really like with exception of the color. is the dually the only available WB with the new body style? why are the tires only 215's? is max towing only 12K? (this can't be correct) anyone have the integrated brake controller?

any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Welcome to the forum..the duramax dually is a awesome pulling machine and we have been known to put a load on a truck to find out what it's made of,here about 1.5 years ago our 05 LLY duramax dually came out of kentucky with a load of logs and hit the scales at 41k gross weight and that was when the truck was stock,now i won't lie to ya it had a hard time pulling the hills with out losing speed and it took alot of fuel but it handled it better then we figured..i wouldn't hesitate to haul 15k to 25k all day long on one of these big guys."Disclaimer" i wouldn't haul 41k pounds again on a 1ton truck..

·
Registered
26 Posts
i also believe you cannot beat the interior of the generals product. by far better than ford or dodge. my opinion obviously. im confident that my 06 single rear wheel duramax would outpull any stock ford or dodge. power and weight rating. no comparo on power. new body style is on all duramax configs you want. dual or single rear wheel. short or long bed, and reg. ext or crew cab! duramax would be by far your best investment. i would by another one in a heartbeat!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2500 CC LMM with the brake controller and love it. If you check Chevy's specs the 4x4 3500 CC is rated to pull 15,900 with a 5th Wheel and 13,000 off the bumper. The only bitches I have is the transmission temp guage is part of the vehicle information system and you end up paging thru the displays to get to it. I plan on having a actual guage installed along with ones for boost and egt in the near future. I have driven Fords with the 7.3 and 6.0 for work and there is no comparison to the Duramax's

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am a cross over buyer! I ahve always owned Cummins, I like my Duramax, hate, the fuel mileage, like the transmission,just hope that this V8 Duramax will last 3 or 400 k miles!! I may be asking for a little much, I service all my equipt on time,I just hope that it will last!!!!! Don't Know!! Just hoping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockin

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2500 CC LMM with the brake controller and love it. If you check Chevy's specs the 4x4 3500 CC is rated to pull 15,900 with a 5th Wheel and 13,000 off the bumper. The only bitches I have is the transmission temp guage is part of the vehicle information system and you end up paging thru the displays to get to it. I plan on having a actual guage installed along with ones for boost and egt in the near future. I have driven Fords with the 7.3 and 6.0 for work and there is no comparison to the Duramax's
Just get an Edge w/Attitude and you can display up to 4 items at a time. I have one on my LMM and love it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just dumped an 04 powerstroke and picked up an 07.5 LMM. First tank on the Ford was about 9mpg and after 18k miles got up to 15-16 empty all hiway. My LMM just got 17mpg on the first tank combined empty, so I like it already. Liked the Ford but it couldn't stay out of the shop long enough to give me any confidence. Hope this GMC does better. I've got an 89 Chev K1500 that's hardly ever seen the inside of a shop. Hope my new GM follows suit.

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
I think the PPE would be better, but the edge is all built in with gauges as the ppe is not. I've gained about 2-4 mpg on mine and dad has an 05 and hasn't gained much with his edge. A lot of guys are running the ppe. I've seen a lot of edges goin up for sale.

Ryan

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
PPE,is there any thing else avalible????J/K

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah Jimmarla I read your other post about the PPE tuner and it's like a Bullydog or Superchips in that it just plugs into your Diagnostic port and re-flashes the computer based on the power setting you want to give it. It stores your stock programming though so that you can return to it if you need. I'm not 100% sure if it has any on-the-fly settings (other than transmission reset/re-learn..?) but they come in 3 types. Economy, towing, and hot each with a different price tag. It doesn't have any gauges but it can read and delete codes if the truck throws them with the tuning added.

I also have the Edge and really like that it has a gauge package and an EGT sensor in with the kit. I installed the sensor in the manifold and I mostly have the PDA show me: Boost (PSI), Trans. temp, Engine temp or intake air temperature, and EGT. It has up to 4 that it can show at once and CAN show things like. IAT, EGT, Eng. Temp, Fuel Temp, Trans. Temp, Backdown %, Load %, Gear (with lockup showing), Throttle %, Barometric pressure, etc to name a few. The other thing that is nice about the Edge is that it's all on-the-fly and you can go from Stock to: tow, drive, race, extreme, hot in a matter of seconds as you are driving. It can also read and reset codes.

If the PPE isn't stackable with the Edge (duration may be doubled...) I would possibly consider trying a PPE instead of the Edge. It's very nice to have that set of gauges though and it gives me a pretty good idea of what's going on with the truck. Can just get a boost gauge and an EGT gauge and have those on the A-pillar with a 2 pod mount...or 3 pod mount and grab trans. temp if you want. Or any 3 for that matter.

Yes you can remove the PPE without the dealer knowing. You re-flash the computer to stock before you take it in is all.

I had noticed a fuel economy improvement using the Edge, can't say about the PPE though but they have a great reputation as far as I know for the Duramax.

Something to consider Jim.

Edge w/ Attitude = $950.00

PPE economy = $520.00
PPE Tuner = $620.00
PPE (225+ HP) Hot = $920.00

3 Gauge pod (new) = $80.00
EGT sensor = $190.00
'Other sensor' = ~ 150.00

So you can basically get either of the first 2 PPE tuners and a gauge package for less (or just as much) than you can buy an Edge! 2 mpg on average more is still 58 miles haha :p. Hopefully it gives closer to 4 and you can get another 96 miles in there.

58 miles more = every 6th fill up is free lol!
96 miles more = every ~ 4th is free.

Fuel savings = roughly 16 - 25%. You "could" pay for the tuner(s) (without the gauges) in JUST 26 - 43 fill-ups! Promising information isn't it? It might be wrong with some of the conversions I had to do, I used your mileage at 14.5 mpg (empty) to get this info.

I have not yet tried the integrated trailer brake controller. My tires stock were 265's and I'm in a 2500HD. You don't have to get a dually for a 3500, I haven't checked the stock tire size on them. I believe all 3500HD's are long boxes though, if you 'configure' your GMC that's the only option you get, however you can get a single cab, ext. cab or crew cab configuration.

Lunch is over, I wrote too much anyway.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
if you want to save some green do the Diablo with the Boost"n"EGT gauges and that should drop you down to the $500 to $600 range with the programmer and gauges..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm also a crossover - had a 99 F550 Powerstroke from new but moved to a 2007.5 LMM in July. I am REALLY happy with this new truck, the power is awesome, the trailer tow mode works almost like an exhaust brake going downhill, it rides like a car, and the interior (LTZ) is really nice. It's a way better truck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm also a crossover - had a 99 F550 Powerstroke from new but moved to a 2007.5 LMM in July. I am REALLY happy with this new truck, the power is awesome, the trailer tow mode works almost like an exhaust brake going downhill, it rides like a car, and the interior (LTZ) is really nice. It's a way better truck.
Ted, I'm with you too ... I just upgraded from an '01 Dodge which I really liked, but this GMC with the SLT (same as your LTZ) is awesome. The difference in refinement between this truck and my '01 is almost as much as the difference between my '76 F-250 and my '01 Dodge! Love it! I always said that all GM had to do to earn my business was build a solid/well designed interior, and it looks like somebody actually listened! Can't wait to get the camper slapped on there and hit the highway!

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
From info I have been given, the last year a can tuner could make any trans adjustments was 2006.
GM went from ECM tuning for engine and trans adjustments to seperate ECM (engine only), TCM trans only.
In order to have any TCM tunes (trans adjustments) you have to go with EFI.

I did have Hypertech for my 07 Yukon that but had to go EFI with my 07 Yukon just for TCM adjustments.
Shifting sucked and this was GM's way they wouldn't correct it.
I had (still have in a box not being used) Quadzilla Stealth II that could not make TCM changes on my Dmax because of the separation of tuning needed.
Only EFI can.

So if your considering tuning and want the ability to make TCM changes then consider EFI and Edge Insight for gauges. Buy once.
So many people try to save a buck at first going the canned tuner way, then a few years later pay again going with EFI all in one.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Only dragged one up from 2007!

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
My bad, didn't notice the year above the_un_troll post #16

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an 09 with brake controller and is by far the best truck I have ever owned, towing and power wise. I have an edge insight for gauges ands really like that too. Makes all the information real easy to read and get to. Had both Cummins and Ps too, Gm product is the best so far no question.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts