Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking into getting a 5 inch exhaust and looking into mbrp there aluminzed 5 inch is half the price of the t409 system. will the aluminzed survive minnesota winters and road salt or do i have to cough up the extra money on the good system?

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I would go with the Stainless only because of your location....Here in SoCal the aluminized is ok....no salt and very little rain...

·
Registered
134 Posts
What about alumnized here in FL? No salt on roads, a decent amount of rain, always keep truck clean.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
dont waste your money

new cars and trucks come with aluminized exhaust and some come with stainless mufflers. Look how long factory lasts. Alum is good for at least 10 years down here in Iowa. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
It depends really. If you weld on the aluminized pipe it will rust in a HURRY at the welds! If you don't weld it then it will last a good long time. it's just a coating on the steel, so anywhere there's scratches, expect to see rust. And the clamps may very well rust as well. It's a gamble, but I'm running 5" aluminized on my truck. Too early to tell how it's going to hold up though.

If you have the money, and plan to keep the truck for the rest of it's life, then I'd save up for the stainless. Otherwise the aluminized will still do pretty well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you take care of your truck and wash it on schedule you will be fine. I have aluminized on my truck I also painted the whole exhaust black with rustoleum high temp bbq paint when it was brand new for a little extra protection. It has been on for 6 months now and I live in NY where they religiously use salt. Still looks brand new. When I took my factory exhaust off it was still in great shape it was 8 yrs old.

If you have the money go SS, heck go T304 if you can afford it. Otherwise if you take care of the aluminized you will be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts