Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have a 2006 lbz purchased a 4" mbrp cat back exhaust will this give me exhaust codes. or wiil i need to purchase a finger stick.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my '02 DMax I removed the cat when I put my 4" exhaust in. I never had a problem with codes. It ran very well but was unusually loud in the cab. Even with my performance chip (VanAiken) and K&N, I didn't get a code. Maybe I was lucky.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i use the RBP cat back and use no muffler and hace never thrown a code

·
Registered
14 Posts
How do you like the '06? What were some changes to your truck from the '02 I drive?

Is that straight pipe loud in the cab? With my muffler, I always had the stereo on to drown it out. I heard that Banks makes a performance muffler but its quiet. On long trips the noise was difficult.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
How do you like the '06? What were some changes to your truck from the '02 I drive?

Is that straight pipe loud in the cab? With my muffler, I always had the stereo on to drown it out. I heard that Banks makes a performance muffler but its quiet. On long trips the noise was difficult.
the newer LBZ and LMM Duramax diesels are quieter then the earlier LLY and LB7...i have a 5"T/B exhaust on my 06 LBZ and it is quiter then my 05 LLY with a dual 4"T/B exhaust runnin at highway speeds but that changes when they are under throttle,under throttle that 5" can be heard up to a 1/2 mile away and i've proved that:D ..hope this helps

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a MBRP cool duals cat back on my 07 LBZ and i dont trow coeds. Only when you put a turbo back on it iwll throw coeds

·
Registered
121 Posts
what's the difference between cat back and turbo back?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I read some tests that compared both systems and according to a graph, there wasn't much difference power wise. If you have pollution laws regarding diesels in your state, i'd leave the cat hooked up and go cat back w/the exhaust. A 4" pipe all the way out with a good muffler will lower the temps easily.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
what's the difference between cat back and turbo back?
The cat back consits of a muffler and tail pipe that goes from the catalitic converter to the end of the truck. The downpipe back goes from the motor to the end of the truck and has a pipe to eliminate the cat then the muffler and tail pipe. :cool:

Turbo back.... Straight pipe

Turbo back.... Wheres the Kitty?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
172 Posts
so straight pipe on a 06 lly will throw a code?

·
Registered
36 Posts
From feedback we've heard of people with turbo back systems, you stand a 50/50 chance of throwing a code once the cats gone. The cat is part of the emission controls on a stock truck so that's why the truck will throw a code when it's removed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
oh ok, ill probably just stick with cat back then since i use this truck for work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was wondering if you had installed the cat back yet? I'm thinking of the same system for TOWING EGT reduction, but, I really don't care for any extra or obnoxious noise.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was wondering if you had installed the cat back yet? I'm thinking of the same system for TOWING EGT reduction, but, I really don't care for any extra or obnoxious noise.

me?

no i havent ordered a kit yet.....will probably order one tomorrow.

edit: ordered MBRP 4'' :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts