Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between a mbrp straight pipe exhaust vs a muffler delete on my lb7? Is it the same thing. Pls educate me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Same thing. One is worded different than the other

·
Registered
403 Posts
I may be wrong but isn't a stock exhaust 3.5" and the smallest mbrp sells is 4"? other than that i'd say its the same.

·
it stinks and whistles :)
5,349 Posts
The mbrp is most likely 4 or 5" but neither will be much of a performance gain over stock 3.5" straight piped. But the 5" sounds mean as hell

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes big difference. It is deep and mean sounded

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes big difference. It is deep and mean sounding

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
And some Duramax's have a smaller exhaust than 3.5".

Anyway the muffler delete is one piece of pipe that takes the place of the muffler and it's 4". It's mostly designed for people like me with the 4" MBRP kit with muffler. Say I wanted to delete the muffler, I'd buy the muffler delete pipe and it would bolt right in the mufflers place.

For your stock exhaust I'd gt the same size pipe and delete the muffler with that if your looking for a cheap option.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Which ones?

Some have the same size exhaust as the HD Vortec Gas trucks. Ive seen several, but I don't know why they would have a smaller exhaust. I just know some up here have smaller than 3.5"

But I'm not going to argue. If your saying they all come 3.5 then thats final!

·
5,349 Posts
I'm not trying to argue just curious as to why gm would put an exhaust from a gas truck on random duramaxs? Considering the front pipe from a gasser won't fit and a dmax front pipe is 3.5" so it would need a reducer after that pipe. Do the vortec hd trucks have a 3"?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not trying to argue just curious as to why gm would put an exhaust from a gas truck on random duramaxs? Considering the front pipe from a gasser won't fit and a dmax front pipe is 3.5" so it would need a reducer after that pipe. Do the vortec hd trucks have a 3"?

Now that you mention that, I also have an 08 2500hd gasser and I believe it's a 4" exhaust... I could be wrong though

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
5,349 Posts
I always assumed 3" but I thought my dmax had a 3" as well. If the gas trucks have a 3.5" I can't imagine the exhaust would be different other then the front pipe anyway on an obs

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think the new vortecs have 3.5 if im not mistaking. However, the bigger diameter you exhaust is, normally the lower the egts. I've heard that if you're running strong tunes to get a system, not just a muffler delete due to egt's. However if you're running a canned tuner the muffler delete will do fine. Any system will sound sick though.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I am sorry brennan... I am a douche! I measured the Vortec exhaust today and it's 3.25" OD. I have seen exhausts that look 2.5" on Duramax's... But I must be getting old and losing my ability to tell sizes! I wasnt being smart in my earlier comment... I literally meant I am not arguing and if you say it's big your right! I feel dumb, but I accept my mistake.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts