Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on buying the 5in down pipe back kit for my 05 lly. Im pretty sure i want to straight pipe it but what do u guys think? Is it overly loud?

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
straight pipe it you will love it
if you would like some pricing let me know!
mine has muffler on it and ive been contemplating buying delete pipe

·
like a Ninja
5,212 Posts
i had a 4" straight pipe before my stack and im GLAD i cut the muffler off. sounds so much better, i almost got a 5" but got a stack instead:D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Buy it with the muffler. Much easier and cheaper to put in a delete pipe if it isn't loud enough for you then to buy a muffler because it is too loud for you. Beware of the VVT hiss if you are not running EFI live or the newest EDGE to tune it out. What year is the truck?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its an 05, i plan to get a tuner but still not sure wat to get.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You will have a hiss at idle due to the vane position of the turbo until you tune it out with EFI or the newest Edge. Some people don't mind the hiss. I don't like it. I am running the 4" MBRP downpipe back with a 4 inch Magnaflow clamped in cat. Even with the cat the hiss is there.

5" will not provide you any added gain over the 4". Just a deeper tone. The 4" with no muffler no cat is plenty loud. Maybe too loud depending on your personal preference. That is why I would order it with the muffler and you can delete it later if it isn't loud enough for you.

Just a suggestion, you may want to put some details about your truck into your signature. Other members will be able to assist you better with that info.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ha, yeah i know, i will its all stock though, just got it. lol. Do u mean the edge evo?

·
Registered
592 Posts
5" will not provide you any added gain over the 4". Just a deeper tone. The 4" with no muffler no cat is plenty loud. Maybe too loud depending on your personal preference.
What is this "too loud" thing you speak of?

Really not too loud at all (IMO) until WOT

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
What is this "too loud" thing you speak of?

Really not too loud at all (IMO) until WOT
Ha. I like the straight pipe tone, but if I were towing heavy on a long trip the drone would get annoying IMO. That WOT scream has me burning through fuel!

You have your hiss tuned out? That shit is annoying me.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Im going from a 4" to a 5"..Ive had two dmaxs with 4" turboback straight pipes and its not loud enough..Im not sure that ive heard a truck too loud before but thats just me..

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ha. I like the straight pipe tone, but if I were towing heavy on a long trip the drone would get annoying. You have your hiss tuned out?
nope, dunno why everyone hates it, I like it. Gonna be a bit before I can get some tuning done too

·
Registered
70 Posts
straight pipe it you will love it
if you would like some pricing let me know!
mine has muffler on it and ive been contemplating buying delete pipe
kman...I just bought my truck and it has a 6" MBRP stack in the bed I'd like to eliminate and run 4" straight pipe straight back from where the elbow comes up now....what would a straight pipe kit run with a tip?

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
it doesnt drone
it sounds badass echoing off the walls
but have never noticed any drone

·
Registered
243 Posts
I guess drone to some isn't drone to others. Some will tell you it drones at 60mph without any load.

·
Registered
243 Posts
thats what i heard drone is hit and miss i guess!
Maybe the exhaust being further back from your cab on that long bed helps :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Overly loud is a matter of opinion and personal preference. You could get it with a muff, then take it out if you want it louder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts