Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Well deserved :)

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Thanks. Did he have a 404? (Gasser, the only gas mog but also most common) or was his a Diesel? I like unique, so I can't just build a Jeep like my friends.
I want pics!!!! :cool:

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
I want pics!!!! :cool:
Mechanically the engine/drivetrain has been gone over. Bodywork has not been addressed yet.

^^ THIS Mercedes smokes, it's SUPPOSED to, and I Ain't getting rid of the smoke:neener

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Mechanically the engine/drivetrain has been gone over. Bodywork has not been addressed yet.

^^ THIS Mercedes smokes, it's SUPPOSED to, and I Ain't getting rid of the smoke:neener
John that is awesome man!!! That truck looks like it is ready for absolutely anything! bad ass :thumb

where did you buy that?? is there a big following in the states?

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
John that is awesome man!!! That truck looks like it is ready for absolutely anything! bad ass :thumb

where did you buy that?? is there a big following in the states?
Following, Yes and no. 404 Mogs are much more common. The one I have is called a "Mini-Mog", and parts/info basically doesn't exist in the US, though they're common in the UK and Germany. They have the same capabilities as the full-size diesels of the time, towing 44 tons in low with trailer air brakes (yea 44 NOT 4.4), hauling (1.5 tonns in bed), same approach and departure angles, same climbing and side-hill, but is about the size of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The 404 is much longer and while popular for rock-crawling, not as good on trails. When I have the compressor in and the Diff-locks working again (Factory air lockers F+R, :D) it'll be much easier to climb.

I found it round the corner from my house, thought it was a larger model till I got there, then saw it and HAD to buy it. Paid 2,500 and highest offer is at 14k. There are a couple of these in this country, much more with the old axle style and mechanical lockers (front lock rod prone to damage, and the axles aren't AS durable, though still overbuilt.)

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
You can check em out here, Scott is an owner and a good guy. They also deal with other oddities such as Pinzgauers (not AS capable but cool) Haflingers etc... If you like this type of stuff this it the type of site that can put you into bankruptcy REAL quick. Warned ya.
Expedition Imports Corporation Home

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Following, Yes and no. 404 Mogs are much more common. The one I have is called a "Mini-Mog", and parts/info basically doesn't exist in the US, though they're common in the UK and Germany. They have the same capabilities as the full-size diesels of the time, towing 44 tons in low with trailer air brakes (yea 44 NOT 4.4), hauling (1.5 tonns in bed), same approach and departure angles, same climbing and side-hill, but is about the size of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The 404 is much longer and while popular for rock-crawling, not as good on trails. When I have the compressor in and the Diff-locks working again (Factory air lockers F+R, :D) it'll be much easier to climb.

I found it round the corner from my house, thought it was a larger model till I got there, then saw it and HAD to buy it. Paid 2,500 and highest offer is at 14k. There are a couple of these in this country, much more with the old axle style and mechanical lockers (front lock rod prone to damage, and the axles aren't AS durable, though still overbuilt.)
You can check em out here, Scott is an owner and a good guy. They also deal with other oddities such as Pinzgauers (not AS capable but cool) Haflingers etc... If you like this type of stuff this it the type of site that can put you into bankruptcy REAL quick. Warned ya.
Expedition Imports Corporation Home
That is really really cool man, thanks for sharing the info. Now you've got me looking into them :thumb

44 tons.. that is just insane. I have always heard they are low geared but dayum. to get 88,xxx lbs moving takes some grunt

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
That is really really cool man, thanks for sharing the info. Now you've got me looking into them :thumb

44 tons.. that is just insane. I have always heard they are low geared but dayum. to get 88,xxx lbs moving takes some grunt
Well, with the optional crawler box in low I can go 15 feet per MINUTE. So I can put it in gear, get a cup of coffee drink it and come back out and get in my truck, ready to go near the end of my driveway :rofl

404s are nice in that parts are readily available and not expensive. And there's more aftermarket support for crawling/climbing. If you're not short like me and want a diesel look into 406s or 416s. IF you like the Mini-Mog Idea a 421 is bout the same size but with a bit more room in the cab.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Well, with the optional crawler box in low I can go 15 feet per MINUTE. So I can put it in gear, get a cup of coffee drink it and come back out and get in my truck, ready to go near the end of my driveway :rofl

404s are nice in that parts are readily available and not expensive. And there's more aftermarket support for crawling/climbing. If you're not short like me and want a diesel look into 406s or 416s. IF you like the Mini-Mog Idea a 421 is bout the same size but with a bit more room in the cab.
that is incredibly low gearing lol, bet it really will go up and over anything

I like the size of yours, the big ones are a little much IMO. Maybe someday, I had always thought I'd just buy a beat up wrangler or cherokee and have as my toy, but this is just so cool :drink

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
Thanks. I'm gonna start a build in the spring. Hopefully while upgrading my truck. I'll post up a lil thread in off-topic or other trucks or something...

If it's something you really wanna try call Scott at Exp. Imp. He can point you in the right direction even if it's from a different seller. Just know the more off-beat the truck is, the more "fun" sourcing parts. I'm gonna try to take up German again cause it will help me greatly, most people who are greatly versed on these are in Germany. (No, I'm not joking either)

·
Registered
29 Posts
nice buddy haha i wish events like that would come to me! haha well deserved

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I did the same thing one time myself. I was cruising down the freeway with the cruise set at 75, speed limit being 75. This doucher in a Range Rover was talking on the phone and couldn't keep a constant speed. He was anywhere from probably 65-85 back and forth.
Well I had passed him once and moved back over to the right lane. He jumped over and ran around me and stayed in the left lane, then a couple miles down the road had slowed down enough that I passed him in the right lane. We were coming up on a semi and one lane construction, so I signaled to move over and he tried to run up and cut me off. He was so close on my butt that I couldn't even see his hood in my rear view. Keep in mind he still had his phone glued to his ear.
With my EGR being turned off but not blocked, I would smoke like a Cummins if I got on it. So I got on it and he disappeared in the cloud. For the 13 miles of one lane construction he didn't get within 200 yards of the back of me again.
I think the funniest part is that I had just left ATP with an EGR plate from Dustin and was on the way home to install it. If it would have been the next day, I wouldn't have been able to do that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I hate it when idiots don't keep a steady speed when I am using cruise control. Back and forth beside and etc etc. Drives me crazy. Good job!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice! Before i had my lmm, i used to enjoy following a diesel haha i like the smell of it.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
21 - 36 of 36 Posts