Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have an 06 Crew Cab Dually 4x4, it gets a lot of miles (took delivery July 5th 06, now has 46,000). It's my work truck, so it has to be reliable, but I've never been happy with the fuel mileage. Factory mpg calculator says 18mpg on the freeway at 65, my average tank is 14.5mpg, not towing a load, but I do tow quite a bit also, and when I do its 14k or more. We have a really good muffler shop that works in stainless only, they did an awesome job on my '88 Burb 4x4 gas 350. I'd like to get some improved fuel economy, more power is secondary but desirable. I'm not planning on a programmer right away, it's a maybe down the road, but if there is a major improvement to be had I'm still open to it. Should I go to the local shop and do strait pipe all the way back? 4" or 5"? Will it be so loud that it's annoying on long hauls? What about the intake side? I'm not a big fan of K&N, any recomendations? I've also heard that ditching the stock fans for electrics help.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
on my 05 dually i was getting 15 to 16mpg as a high average runnin emtpy doin 68mph on the highway but when i towed well it droped out of site,when i put the 4" T/B exhaust on i gained 1 mpg and then i did the ppe programmer runnin on a 80 to 90hp tune i increased 6mpg thats if i drive it right but the way i drive an average increase is around 4mpg and my best yet is 23mpg runnin empty on the highway..just this weekend i towed a 1135 massey furgeson tractor witch weighs roughly 15k and the trailer weighed 6k and i still got 13mpg..good luck and keep us posted on what you decide

·
Registered
93 Posts
anything you do to make the engine more efficient and flow better is going to help your mileage. Unfortunately it's really hard to tell you what exhaust is going to be good for you. One mans musical exhaust note, is another's annoyance. I have a 4" silverline turbo back, and i have no complaints yet, and mine too ,is a work truck that see's a lot of miles.

If i drive my truck normal, I'm seeing right at 20 mpg with my programmer set at level 3. I suggest a afe intake, mine made a noticeable difference over the banks intake setup. When towing i usually get around 12-14 depending on the load.

Another thing, what size tires are you running? When i went to a 33" tire i notice a slight drop in mileage. I hope this helps you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help, and keep the tips coming. Opinions on single 5" versus dual 4" exhaust? Stock tires by the way, probably keep the stock size when I replace them. Would you recomend staying away from the local shop and buy a system?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Smart idea in my eyes with the tires, do you know how many hubs i go through:rof

I really didn't like the duals when they first came out, but the more i see them, the better i like them. Especially on dually trucks. I would go with dual 4", just because they look bad a$$ in my opinion.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
duals all the way..4" T/B Silverline exhasut with 5" tips..

·
Registered
93 Posts
:rockin See, you just can't beat that. Nice truck by the way. :thumbsup

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
:rockin See, you just can't beat that. Nice truck by the way. :thumbsup
thanks..

i love the duals because it doesn't matter with side they are on they will get a nice dusting:fart :tease

1 - 9 of 9 Posts