Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys have this ? Looking at a house in an old mining area . Looks like there has been a mine under the house at some point , but the house has been there for 70 years and just had a home inspectors check it out and said he sees no structural issues. Is this something I should be concerned about ? Anyone else have a house in an old mining area ?

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
There are a lot of variables and most of them bad. The county office that issues building permits should have records and would be the best start, at lease it was for us. We were looking at buying a place in Eastern WA to build a place where we want to retire. I went to the building permit office and asked them what I'd be looking at to build there and they pulled up records showing an 1890's mine nearby and a USGS record from the 1960's that showed the whole area was contaminated with arsenic from mine tailings. They then pulled up health department records from drinking water wells in the area and the wells were also contaminated. I'd sure look beyond just structural issues, though they'd be a good place to check for that, too.

Reactions: BrokenBackJack

·
Registered
646 Posts
In Commiefornia, you can go to the division of mines and geology and find old mines in the area, except the exploratory holes and shafts, many are not listed. One gent died watching tv when his living room fell into an old tunnel as his wife watched. one of our family members had their driveway fall into an exploratory shaft, not covered by insurance. Pray your state has records in a similar fashion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts