Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came off of interstate today. Had traveled about 50 miles, 70ish mph. turned on exit and stopped at light. Engine started misfiring terribly. Awful knocking. Stopped and raised hood, checking belt, etc. Checked codes with Evo P0202, PO300, PO302, PO305, PO308, PO404, P2149. Are all injector related. Cranked back up run much better. Continued on trip and after about 5 miles running fine again. When I finished with Safety Council went to Kwik Kar and got truck serviced and fuel filter changed. Ran fine on return trip. What do you think? Could fuel filter cause this? My truck has had the injector harness changed under warranty according to VIN. I also removed harness from alt bracket shortly after getting truck.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I suggest you start here--Inspect the FICM wire harness at the passenger side of the alternator. The harness is tied down with a zip tie, cut the zip tie, open up the plastic loom, carefully check for bare wires. The harness and wires get cut, and sometimes short to ground, by contact with the sharp corner of the FICM bracket. Repair, and insulate with a piece of heater hose.
This is a common problem for the LLY engine. Everyone should check this now!

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Seriously, take all the split loom and tape off you harness and look VERY closely at all the wires in the harness. This is your issue or the FICM is acting up.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check inside loom but as earlier stated that zip tie been gone ever since I got truck. That loom of wires don't even touch the alternator anymore. will check here in a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No problem with wires at bracket. Removed all from loom and inspected. Actually loom tape and everything looked great. Anyway the fuel filter could have caused this? I believe I had a fuel limp a while back. I was coming down I 10 running 70ish, got beside a tractor trailer and not comfortable there. Pushed throttle down rather good and limped. I was in 4th and not 3rd. truck surged like no fuel. rpm's was not limited. Stopped, shut truck down and reset evo to setting 1 (i was on 3). Continued on trip. Have not run it on nothing but 1 since. Had intended to change fuel filter before now. In shutdown and really difficult. Out of work now.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went back to truck again, cranked it up, pulled on ficm wiring, wiggled, everything short of tearing it up and no change in motor. All injector connections are tight.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The codes you listed are for the #2 cylinder-- next to the power steering pump. That is usually caused by a loose connection at the injector. You should do a "Ice Pick" on those terminals. That raises a dimple in the terminal, for better contact.

The 2149 will trigger when there is a loss of connection, and then that will affect all injectors in group B.

The 404 is a EGR code-- probably caused by the echaust mods. no real problem.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That makes sense. I recently, about a month ago, had a power steering to hydroboost hose to spring a leak. soaked everything. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I "ice picked" #2. It was loose. not now. Thanks everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts