Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have invested allot of money in my truck for pulling and i want to start winning. Ive got decent tires, caltracs, e-locker, built trans, lift pump, quality tuning, the list goes on. I pull in the stock class and im just behind the other dmax guys that own the stock class. I want to know what is putting them ahead of me and everyone else. I noticed there trucks smoke like trains all the way down the track. Are they using billet wheels and and adding more fuel for power or what? Im missing something and i need help. I didnt spend all this money to finish in fourth at every pull :help

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
They're probably cheating and not stock, but "stock appearing." If you want to stay in that class and win you need a modded VVT turbo or a 4094vvt and some bigger injector nozzles. I was well over 600 rwhp with that setup.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're probably cheating and not stock, but "stock appearing." If you want to stay in that class and win you need a modded VVT turbo or a 4094vvt and some bigger injector nozzles. I was well over 600 rwhp with that setup.
How can I modify my stock turbo? Or am I better off just getting the 4094. And what size injectors would you recommend?

·
BANNED
789 Posts
How can I modify my stock turbo? Or am I better off just getting the 4094. And what size injectors would you recommend?
You can buy a different compressor wheel or you can buy a modded turbo from places like Danville or Fleece.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
how big of tunes you running any custom for pulling

tire pressure where are you around

any wheel hoop

do you have front and rear locker or just rear or what

·
Less than desired
992 Posts
I was once told by an old stockcar racer, "he who cheats the best wins" sadly there is too much truth to that statement!

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Torque converter unlock/lock controller. Get that rpm at the end when it unlocks.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Send it to Danville or Fleece. I picked the 4094 because it comes straight from Garrett, brand new. With a stock pump 45% would be the biggest you can run and still get the most out of them. You dont need the whole injector either. You can send the tips to ExtrudeHone or Exergy and not have more than 500 in them.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
They are cheating, I almost garrentee it. Get your nozzels honed to 40% over and get a 45% over pump and you will be right there with them. This is why they smoke so much more than you. If it was turbo related you for one, would hear the diffrence and two they would have less smoke from more efficent combustion process bc of the extra air.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how big of tunes you running any custom for pulling

tire pressure where are you around

any wheel hoop

do you have front and rear locker or just rear or what
Im live in Cecil County, Maryland, I run 17lbs in the front and 28lbs in the rear and i dont have any wheel hop. 8500lbs is my class weight and i usually try and run around 8000lbs . I dont want to be to light or to heavy. the e-locker is in the front and the back rear is stock. I have robs dsp5 tune and its suppose to be around 540hp/1100 lbs of torque. I dont have a custome pulling tune. So my options are to buy a modified stock charger, 45% injection pump, and 40% nozzles?

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
At least do the nozzels and a 68mm. That will put you at 600rwhp maybe a bit more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I hope you're ready to spend some money. around here it takes more than 650 horse and a properly set up truck to compete for the win.

sounds like its time to step up the bigger turbo injectors pump club. 4094 is a great upgrade and you can keep your stock charger. For injectors, go at least 45 overs if not 60 overs. For the pump, either an arson kit for the stocker or just jump up to a stage 3 big single and be done with it.

You need to think about upgrading your rear axles and rear locker. moser makes a great affordable axle that should hold at your power level. for the locker, guys like the yukon but the stock dodge "posi" is a great design and fits right in our rear end.

Definitely look into a converter unlock switch. should add a couple feet at the big end.

are you running a modified pulling hitch and rollpan? If not, it will help if you tuck the hitch closer to the axle. It helps load the chassis better. The rollpan will allow you to tuck the hitch point closer and makes for a clean installation. A proper pulling hitch insert will also help instead of a tractor clevice like most guys use.

You will want to weigh closer to the 8500 lbs limit. figure out a way to mount lead or big chunks of steel behind your front bumper. You'll want to put weight over the front end because adjusting the hitch will make your front end lift more and unload the tires. My truck did this because I never got around to putting weight over the front end.

for tires, bfgs make great all around pulling tires. not sure what your rules are but run the biggest tire they allow and the widest rim you can.

Now will be a good time to upgrade the driveshaft and u joints. a steel shaft with 1480 joints should work just fine.

Like I said, get ready to spend another 6-10 thousand on your truck if you want to win. I did most of the things above and still come up short in my class. any more questions, feel free to ask. I learned a lot this year pulling and would be happy to share.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a custom hitch and it sits just shy of the legal height. As far as a bigger charger is concerned, how can i get a bigger "stock" charger and get away with it? The other trucks around here have chargers that sound stock. The noise is a dead give away if its a cheetah or not...everyone knows that

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
put some weights in the passenger floor boards to get you closer to 8500lbs and i would try and get some bigger tunes maybe

seems like they just have a little bigger tune then you and are getting beter bit at the end with higher wheel speed

any lose of rail pressure when pulling

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
If you're on a max effort tune for the stock turbo and they're still putting a lot of distance on you then something isn't stock on their trucks.

Sent from my phone, probably while driving and eating a sammich

1 - 20 of 20 Posts