Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appoligize if this is in the wrong place, but i have the tranny dropped out of my 02 silverado with 150,000 miles. I also have the torque converter removed so that i could replace the front pump seal. I do not know what the previous owner used for atf, i do know that they had been topping it off with something because it had an atf leak, The tranny had also been removed before. I am planning on changing the internal filter and refilling with Shell Spirax A295. I think i should be okay but I wanted to check with people that have more knowledge than I.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I can't tell if you have an Allison tranny or not. If you do, read this thread when you have lots of time. The early posts are the most informative.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
I appoligize if this is in the wrong place, but i have the tranny dropped out of my 02 silverado with 150,000 miles. I also have the torque converter removed so that i could replace the front pump seal. I do not know what the previous owner used for atf, i do know that they had been topping it off with something because it had an atf leak, The tranny had also been removed before. I am planning on changing the internal filter and refilling with Shell Spirax A295. I think i should be okay but I wanted to check with people that have more knowledge than I.
If your engine is a Duramax then you have a 5 speed Allison 1000 transmission. It originally took Dex III. Allison has developed a new fluid, specifications TES-295. It is backwards compatible with both Dex III and Dex IV.

Your Shell Spirax is included in the list of approved fluids

You will be fine.

You might also like ths information in this thread:

PS. If yo have a gasser all the above is null and void!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts