Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im running amsoil 5w-40 right now and i need a quart or 2 asap but it'll take a week for it to come in....will chit hit the fan if i put in a quart of 15w-40 or will it be ok?

cheers,

TM

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wouldn't mix it. But that's me. Can't bigdaddy upgrade the shipping? Do you run extended intervals?

·
Registered
51 Posts
It will be fine. I've run Amsoil 15w-40 for years only changing once a year and Ive topped off with a quart of 5w-30 in a pinch. I'd rather have it full than a couple quarts low.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Why not get some 15-40 from the nearest store??
I have run low on my synthetic Mobil 1 5-40 and have gotten some synthetic of the same weight and been ok!I don't do it regularly but I just did it within 100 miles of an oil change..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not get some 15-40 from the nearest store??
I have run low on my synthetic Mobil 1 5-40 and have gotten some synthetic of the same weight and been ok!I don't do it regularly but I just did it within 100 miles of an oil change..

Yeh I can get 15-40 from BD diesel here...i have 9000 km (5500 miles) on my current oil. And im going on a 4000 + km road trip here and wanted to bring an extra couple quarts incase i need it before my next oil change.

thanks for the info... ill buy the 15-40 for now just in case

cheers,

TM

·
Registered
68 Posts
You could always top it off with a quart of lucas oil stabilizer synthetic. I know a lot of people bad mouth lucas bu the dodge on the trailer behind my truck in my avatar has always had a quart of lucas added to the oil, long story short dodge replaced his turbo and left the exhaust clamp so that it rubbed a hole in his oil filter and lost ten quarts driving down the freeway he noticed no oil pressure and kept going another 200 miles he figured he cooked the motor already so why not if its under warranty....when he got home he red lined the motor for five ten minutes and couldn't get it to blow and it still runs damn good, I tip my hat to lucas and religously use it every oil change

1 - 8 of 8 Posts