Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right area to post this thread, but seems to me this area would have the most experience with Moab. Being 55, it's always been my dream to go on a Backtrail 4 x 4
trip. I'm one of these guys has a 4 x 4 that's rarely seen usage.
So I am planning a 2-3 week trip to Moab. Never been there and you can research this all you want but would really like some first-hand knowledge. I have purchased maps and the second addition guide to Moab Utah 4 x 4 trails. I really need advice as to the best place to go for my equipment and my goals.

First my equipment so that you can properly direct me to what trails I should do. I know the difficult trails are out, but still in between easy and moderate. From what I understand I am more than prepared for moderate. Please advise

Have a 2015 Duramax crew 4 x 4. Cranked up torsion bars and went from stock 265 7018 to 295 7018 Cooper ST Maxx that so far I'm very impressed with as far as looks in style. It's one heck of an aggressive tire. With superior sidewall strength. Have a warn 12,000 pound winch on the front and a warn 10,000 pound winch on back.

Have 125' front winch with 150' spare cable as well as straps so I'm good for about 300 feet. Plenty of the d rings and a warn snatch block. 16,000 pound pull pal, strap on lugs for the tires, couple of air compressors. 6 ft high lift jack. All of the above items come with zero experience in actually using it.

So Keep in mind possession of these items doesn't dictate that I have a clue how to use them because I really don't. But I have them in case :)

That is my equipment, now for my goal. I want to disappear as far back as I can go. Someplace very remote and very serene. I don't particularly want to run into other four by fours. I want to drive to a place that will take me 2 to 3 days to get there, and then camp out under the stars with out running cross somebody. I'm leaving in about 10 days and plan on staying to three weeks. I will have my guns so any input on strapping them to my side while traveling and hiking around would be great.

I want some excitement while getting there but I don't want to twist my truck into a pretzel either. Someplace exciting but yet overall safe without fear of hurting my truck over. Getting stuck is welcome, going over a cliff is not.

This is more about 4 x 4 then it is camping, so keep that in mind. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That was turning my truck over not hurting it over. Can't see the edit button on my mobile phone. I am not in fear of some scratches but prefer no dents!

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
I would start by renting a "Jeep" from one of the several places that rent them in Moab and see what the terrain is like, or maybe take a tour as a passenger to get the "lay of the land". Then you can decide how your truck would fare. I don't think the rentals are extremely expensive and would be a good way to start. Also, I would def get some experience using the equipment you have, especially the winch. Find a 4X4 buddy to help you do some winching on some flat land somewhere. If you get stuck somewhere, that's NOT the time to figure out how to use all this stuff. My own experience (belonged to a 4X4 club for many years is, I have rarely seen anybody rescue themselves with their own winch, it's usually somebody else's winch who isn't stuck.... Moab is a cool place, I enjoy it. Haven't done any trails there though, long bed crew cab stock height truck isn't my idea of 'wheelin'...

·
Registered
45 Posts
We are taking the entire extended family out there the first week of September (16 of us total). We are doing ATV's though.

Very interested in seeing the comments to come.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. And even though thats probably great advice, I doubt seriously ill rent a vehicle seeing as how my truck will be loaded up to the max and there'll be several of us. Probably the most prudent way to go, but not the most fun!!!

When I say I have no experience I mean advanced real life. I've winched myself several times here and there. Little mud holes and stuff. But I am not a winch master and should I get stuck at a tilt on the rocks, I wouldn't really know proper procedure. Not much to it if you're stuck in the sand!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts