Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in getting my windows tinted yesterday and started talking to the guy in my local speed shop about mods for my truck. It's an 05 LT CC 4x4. He suggested getting the EFI Live 3 switch chip, exhaust, intake, then cold air. Does this sound like the correct order? I use this truck for towing, everyday use etc. More concerned w/better mpg and perf. then racing or things like that. Outside of that it is bone stock.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
I would do a AFE turbo mouth piece, exhaust and tuning. EFI Live is a excellent choice, however most of the time you do 2 or 5 tunes on a switch. You can also use the Edge CTS Inight to switch between tunes.

If I can help please let me know.

Tyler
MPF

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did question that about getting the tune done last after the other mods where in place- My reasoning was that depending on what you already had would change the type of actual tune. He said it didn't matter what I did after the fact that was the first place to start. As for the 3 postion thing- I know that he had said 80hp, then max 100hp unless I upgraded the trans. I assumed 0 being nothing, 2 towing, and 3 a street app. That in mind I would say based on what your saying it's more of a 2 position vs 3. I am ok with that, I just don't want to spend more $$ getting it reprogrammed w/each step or mod that I make. It would make sense based on what you are saying to get that done last. Most of it I am confortable doing myself. the intake shouldn't be an issue, I have friends w/a lift for the exhaust. Outside of that I don't think there would be much else I would want to do- Well wait, I do want to get the nose off the ground and jack up the torsion bars. Can't beleive Chevy would do such a horrific thing lol.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Gauges-exhaust-mouth piece would be my first. Then go with efi and airdog 2 after that. Most tuners will make you trans safe tunes unless you request more.

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I decided that I would do the LBZ Mp ordered from GM (Which will I need additional parts to make it work?) and exhaust. After that I will get the EFI Live tuning- which I am totally confused about. I guess I am confused about how on set company tune can vary from each individual person being as that its suppose to come from one company. Now I see this thread floating around about a spade thing- how we may or may not need a edge system for montioring things. Uggggg can someone please explain it in "Lame mens terms" and cost effectiveness. I don't want to through a sh*t ton of money out for things I may or may not need. Also, do I need the dpf delete, pcv bypass, tie rod sleeves etc. I do want to jack the front end up- and would it be better to put the $30 "Green Keys" in or would that even help with front end wear? I have no desire to ever lift this truck- just want to get the rake out.

Thanks for clearing things up-

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Efi is the software tuners use to make there custom tunes and you can also if you have the knowledge. Efi does not come with tunes itself. Thats why you see efi done by nick- or rob or husker diesel....

We use the edge insight for just gauges and codes. On lb7s and llys you can change your tunes you get from your tuner with it.

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhhhhh So it acts as an interface to actually do the programming? If you want, then you can have it "Pre-Tuned" by a tuner so it becomes more of a plug and play option. So how do programmers vary from place to place? Would it be advisable to just pick one, and deal w/them directly? It seems as though its alot like finding a custom software programmer to make a certain program- Which I understand more since I have done I.T. work in the past.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Efi is only way to go cause you can tune to additiional mods unlike most other tuners. Also you can adjust so many more parameters. There are 4 ways to get efi.

A) Buy the V2 and then a tuner can email you the tunes. Then you have a awesome scan tool and the option to build your own along with data logging.
B) Send off your computer and have tunes put on it.
C) Drive to a tuner and have it done.
D) Get the new one from duramax tuner.

You are right. They basically make you a custom program for your truck. There are many to choose from but I prefer Nick at duramaxtuner-rob at atp-and Jess at Husker Diesel. Just the fact of the are easy to get a hold of and are on the forum a lot for support.

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thnks for the info. I will have to find someone in the KC area that does that and is reliable. I got a quote the other day and it seemed high as to what I was seeing online. Its just confusing as to gettng the best bang for the buck when everyone seems to go w/ Idaho Rob or some others not in my area.

btw: I would like to make it just simple as possible. whichever that direction might be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts