Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently working on my first diesel. It is a 2004.5 LLY 5 speed auto. I am not famaliar with much on these trucks. I currently have an edge attitude with juice programmer, afe cold intake, fass fuel system, and dual mbrp exhaust. I mainly want to turn the truck into something fast and as reliable as possible. I am wondering what steps I should take next, like better injectors or I am currently looking into upgrading to a modified allison before doing anything else, I don't wreck my stock transmission. What else can I upgrade to get what I want? Any suggestions or help would be great I do have some money kicking around.

edit: Yah mainly I guess I will be dragging for the most part, and like any greedy speed demon, the more torque and horsepower the better. any opinions on the transmission anyone have one? Also the programmer I have has boost and egt on it does the efi live?

·
Registered
506 Posts
i dont know much on that year but im pretty sure everyone is going to tell u to get rid of the edge im pretty sure it doesnt work well with these trucks. but im not an expert on that. but i would say tie rod sleeves trans go maybe. how long have u had it?? did u just buy good investment would to be change out all fluids new fuel filter if it was just bought. but im sure everyone on here will get ya pointed in the right direction. good luck man

·
Registered
589 Posts
get rid of edge juice with attitude!! get efi live, more power and better mileage. and its a fass fuel system...just a heads up

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would suggest deciding how much power you want first.
I would get a good set of gauges(boost and egt to start)
I would look into ppe programmer or efi live
Rebuild transmission
tie rod sleeves and upgraded centerlink are good idea if you plan to pull or drag

·
Vendor
3,397 Posts
The Edge J/A needs to be replaced first, then I would look into trans upgrades as a good tuner will be more than your trans can handle. Other things to consider will be fuel delivery (Airdog) and airflow. You can keep the intake you have now, but you will want o upgrade the mouth piece.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
get efi and a transmission, tie rod sleeves, gauges
if i can help let me know :drink

also you dont need injectors until higher hp!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So is the efi a pre set programmer/chip, or how does it function?
Also say if I go ahead and put all these modifications into the truck where can you go from there? I kind of want to plan everything out before I start anything else, I don't want to do what I did with the attitude and just slap it in without knowing what else is possible and what else is better.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
So is the efi a pre set programmer/chip, or how does it function?
Also say if I go ahead and put all these modifications into the truck where can you go from there? I kind of want to plan everything out before I start anything else, I don't want to do what I did with the attitude and just slap it in without knowing what else is possible and what else is better.
EFI is the best possible thing out there
efi will get u to 550hpish with gauges, lift pump, trans, tie rod sleeves and all that u can run 12.xx now after that u get aftermarket turbo, and then after that its full rebuild and efi can tune from a 50 hp tune all the way to a 1000+hp tune

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I am obviously not the know how guy with that stuff, is that something my local diesel mechanic should be able to do or is it an easy program that I would be able to use?

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
there is people on here that build the tunes for you! then when u get into high hp it gets harder to tune unless they are there to see so that is when u log your runs.
u can use it
but tuninig your own truck might take awhile

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now will my engine be able to handle this? Before I bought the truck it towed a small trailer with a quad occasionally and drove a lot of highway km's. It is currently sitting at just above 150km

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
it should be able to hold 500ish hp but trucks are known to break at stock hp
no one can guarrntee if a truck will hold but alot of people are running 500hp dmaxes with no problems

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are there any engine upgrades you can do, to help prevent break downs or complete failure?

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
oh ya u can build the whole motor..but thats about 15k could be more not including install

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha well I've got some money but I need to eat. Thank you for the help I will be doing some research over the next little while probably wont end up doing anything until next year but atleast I'll know what I want by then

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Edge J/A needs to be replaced first, then I would look into trans upgrades as a good tuner will be more than your trans can handle. Other things to consider will be fuel delivery (Airdog) and airflow. You can keep the intake you have now, but you will want o upgrade the mouth piece.
So what is the difference between airdog and fass? They are just different systems that basically have the same goal correct?

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
if you need help with anything dont hesitate to ask i can get you a sweet setup!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
So I am obviously not the know how guy with that stuff, is that something my local diesel mechanic should be able to do or is it an easy program that I would be able to use?
You are describing yourself as a candidate for Custom Tuning. It provides all the benefits of EFILive, and you don't need a laptop, and you don't have to purchase EFILive, no skills required except how to read. With the keylock dsp5 switch, you can low power (safe) tunes, as well as very high power race tuning, and you can switch from your seat.

CUSTOM TUNING | Killerbee Performance Technologies

You will also need to be sure you tend to the LLY Induction flaw, and again the most effective and simplest way to do this is with the IOH kit. It is a 15-30 minute install with normal tools, and no mechanic required. If you really don't get your hands dirty, then the color instructions make it easy for him also.

Duramax Diesel Performance Products by Killer Bee

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are describing yourself as a candidate for Custom Tuning. It provides all the benefits of EFILive, and you don't need a laptop, and you don't have to purchase EFILive, no skills required except how to read. With the keylock dsp5 switch, you can low power (safe) tunes, as well as very high power race tuning, and you can switch from your seat.

CUSTOM TUNING | Killerbee Performance Technologies

You will also need to be sure you tend to the LLY Induction flaw, and again the most effective and simplest way to do this is with the IOH kit. It is a 15-30 minute install with normal tools, and no mechanic required. If you really don't get your hands dirty, then the color instructions make it easy for him also.

Duramax Diesel Performance Products by Killer Bee

So what does the overhaul kit include and what does it do? And what is the dsp5 switch is it basically a programmable chip?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts