Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions since I'm in the market for EFI in the very near term. A while back I used HP tuners to change speedo and shiftpoints for the 35'as and tried to recal the fuel tank stuff after the Titan install. I talked to a Corvette hotrodder using V1 today and he indicated that EFI may struggle when loading new tunes if it has been touched by some other software (ie. HP tuners).....any truth to it? He indicated that I may not be able to suck down the current tune to ship off to a tuner to build custom tunes with.

Also, if one purchase the EFI system w/5 tunes from a tuner, can I then view them and tinker with them to tailor them to my liking, or will they be locked and untouchable? Is it also possible to compare two of them to look at the changes in an effort to perhaps make a totally different tune for myself?

many thanks

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
I have two questions since I'm in the market for EFI in the very near term. A while back I used HP tuners to change speedo and shiftpoints for the 35'as and tried to recal the fuel tank stuff after the Titan install. I talked to a Corvette hotrodder using V1 today and he indicated that EFI may struggle when loading new tunes if it has been touched by some other software (ie. HP tuners).....any truth to it? He indicated that I may not be able to suck down the current tune to ship off to a tuner to build custom tunes with.

Also, if one purchase the EFI system w/5 tunes from a tuner, can I then view them and tinker with them to tailor them to my liking, or will they be locked and untouchable? Is it also possible to compare two of them to look at the changes in an effort to perhaps make a totally different tune for myself?

many thanks
You won't have any trouble downloading the tune,just put it back to stock or make sure you tell your tuner that it had whatever handheld on when you downloaded, most have a stock ecm file they can use.

Most stuff isn't locked, only if you do an ECM swap with certain tuners.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response--the corvette guy told me that some of his stuff he can't look at or modify, which would be a shame since we would have spent all this money on the EFI.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
If he has a V1 he probably has an older corvette. With the V2 and current software from EFI you can read tunes off most anything GM 97 to present. There is alot you can change on A duramax. Not sure about modern gassers but I know the dmax has alot of tables. I run a DSP5 set up and usually use the last tune to modify on my own. That way if I am not happy with it I can flip the switch and get home...

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you have a dsp5 with 5 tunes loaded on it can you just modify one of them at a time, and still have the other 4 not change?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what I was hoping--sounds good to me. Now I just need to pull the trigger!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts