·
Registered
132 Posts
dieselplace.com has some 6.5 stuff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice quick reply! Im not sure on the 6.5 diesel but Ive been looking at a few so just looking...If this doesn't happen then im just giong to start saving for the dmax

·
Registered
12 Posts
JMHO........the 6.5 sure helped us get the diesel thing goin but I think its best to go with the Dmax......or the Cummins like me..either one will do ya good

Cheers,Kevin

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i had a 97 3500 drw with the 6.5L TD and it was agreat diesel not a power house and if you add power you will blow internals but when they are stock they do an excellent job allthough they are know for losing the fuel pump and then blowing the injecters,but gm extended the warranty to 120,000 miles for that issue..i would recommend the duramax,before the 6.5L..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay okay...ill stick to saving for the dmax then... I have yet to see any real performance gains on the 6.5

·
Registered
72 Posts
We always ra the 6.2 and 6.5 as farm trucks and worked the hell out of them. We hada 6.2 with almost 400K on it with the stock engine, My Dad's '98 6.5 has 240K on it, and it is all original. Although I won't argue about the more power in the d-max. But the stock longevity was fair.

Kennedy diesel for upgrades.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Probably not. Because you can build a RAT motor out of a 454. The only thing is, is that if you add mods to a diesel they usually help mileage, while if you add mods to a 454 your mileage DROPS. just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
262 Posts
my parents have both a suburban with the 454 and one with the 6.5 and the 454 is far better at towing but just does not seem to be as cool when you drive around but i agree the 6.5 put GM in teh diesel market and without would not have teh 6.6 and it is a great motor better than any gasser

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey sorry guys for being one of those guys who just come in once after they sign up and leave. Im back and after buying a 73 nova im now looking for a diesel truck. What mileage do you all get with your 6.5s compared with the 6.6? I would get a 6.5 but definately wouldn't go overboard with mods. Just a tuner ,exhaust or something. Thanks again for your help
Buck

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Do these trucks have the potential to make more power than a 454?
YES.........BUT the longevity of them even in stock form is questionable.

I had a modded 95' 6.5TD suburban that ran great between rebuilds due to Blown headgaskets(3), Pitched rod(1), failed turbo(1), and a failed injection pump(1).

Not too big of a 6.5L TD fan here, I don't mean to sound negative, that's just my experience with that motor....
Several other friends locally have had tremendous reliability problems with them as well, so I'm not alone.

Be careful and maybe keep a good luck charm on the dash! :drink

Catch you later,

Chuck

·
Save Water, Drink Beer
1,102 Posts
the 6.5L are prone to over heat form minor problems with the cooling system. Heath has a lot of add-ons for these old trucks. Just look at the reliability stand point and upgrade the factory flaws. For the price they are good bet for great millage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts