Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm going to start this thread, not for me, but for anyone who may have the same question... what are the pros and cons of modding with aftermarket parts and voiding your warranty, and is it worth it? Also, IF something major were to go out (i.e. tranny, rear end, injector) how much would it cost without warranty? No reply has to be directed to me, I just want to hear all of you guys discuss.:rockin

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have been in this delima for a while myself. I bought my truck used last Sept with 26.5K on the clock. I bought it at the local Ford dealer and also purchased the Ford ESP coverage for it at a cost of about 2500.00. I had a few problems with my truck at first with a check engine light but it was finally linked to a bad fuse box under the hood, GM replaced it uner warranty and I have had no issues since. (I was still under the original 36K warranty at the time) I have wanted to mod this thing since day 1 and last friday I decided to ditch the rest of my ESP warranty and get as much of that money back as I could. I figure that the issue I had has been ironed out and these trucks are very reliable so the chance of me actually getting my money's worth out of the extended warranty isn't that good and it would only hold me up from modding. At one time I actually asked my GM service manager what he thought about putting a programmer on the truck and his response was "don't do it, it will void your warranty". Will it actually, maybe? There is so many opinions on this it's not funny so I decided to roll the dice and when I get the refund I will order a few parts for my truck. I am not going crazy as I am after mileage and a few extra horses to kick some ricers butt. Am I crazy for doing this, maybe, but you only live once!

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts