Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I’m considering giving my truck a little tune-up so to speak. One thing I am sure of is that it should get a new turbo mouth piece (from the sticky thread).

I have a 24 ft. haul trailer that I use to deliver and pick up items for my business. It’s a big closed in unit and when it’s full it gets fairly heavy. Now my stock truck has no trouble pulling it, and in fact I have no trouble pulling out and passing either. But you know, there is always room for improvement, right!

I definitely want to improve the fuel mileage when hauling the trailer, at the moment I get about 15 to 16 MPG on the hi-way when pulling it. Usually it runs around 21 MPG with no trailer.

I’m looking for “proven reliable upgrades”. I want to make it breath better, give it more power/torque and a bigger exhaust. Is there anything else I should do, anything to the tranny?

I know most chips/programmers (not sure what they are called) have several different settings. I'm not looking to go crazy with HP sauce, so I wouldn't use the highest setting at all. :gearjamin

Also what is a good (reasonably priced) scanner that a novice could use? Is there 1 that can do the programming and scan for codes. My guess is yes but how much cash am I lookin at?

Thanks for your help and ideas!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
for your situation, i would get efi live, but probably just the dsp 2 switch. This will let you have the tunes customer built for your truck and what you want it to do. With the switch, you can have two different tunes built, so one for a daily driver and one for towing. I got mine through synthetic motorsports and justin at bdp built my tunes. With efi you also get a scanner and a full software suite that can do quite alot, it just depends how deep you want to get into your truck

·
Registered
362 Posts
Darrenz16,
Definitely the turbo mouthpiece. (One thing I still need to do)
I recommend 5" exaust turbo back. I started out with a 4" and have upgraded to a 5". I love the sound and look. I went with the Husker Budget exhaust with muffler. Very reasonable and easy installation.
As far as Tuners. You can go with PPE for a good canned tuner. Or most will say just go with EFI live. Which gives you a lot more options.
Recommend calling some of the vendors and spending a few minutes on the phone with them. They can steer you in the right direction.
I have always had great luck with Husker Diesel. They have always given me great service and if I talk to them about something if they know of a better way they always talk to me about it. It has saved me time and money several times.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Jon :)

I would agree with what Jon said ^^^. A ppe economy tuner would be a great fit. Priced well, has great tunes and is safe. Plus it'll read and clear codes if a problem should come up.

If you want to tow with a more powerful tune on the truck I'd recommend gauges, but if you tow on the stock tune and only play around on the bigger tunes you can get by without them if its not in your budget.

But I'd recommend a tuner, exhaust, and turbo mouthpiece. That combo will wake your truck up like you can't even imagine!

Shoot me ma message if you have any questions. I'm more than happy to help out in any way I can!

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, just to straighten something out, before anyone :poke[1]: me or :rofl, chips go in bags and BBQ & salt'n viniger flavors, and also in the ecm, which can't be touch. I understand this now. :rolleyes:
My bad notworthy

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Don't worry, we're usually pretty gentle on the noobies :D

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts