Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my inverter installed! Ready for summers at the lake again! Lpug in the mini fridge and stereo and don't have to worry about darinin my batts and replentishing the ice!!! I'm just waiting on the cable, isolator and new odyssey batt to come in to finish wiring it! Let me know what you think! Any pros and cons?!!
Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Technology Gas
Technology Electronics Electronic device Power inverter Gas
Automotive exterior Grille Bumper Auto part Metal
Architecture Daylighting Beam Metal
Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Metal Vehicle

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now I just gotta finish the wiring with quick connects at the front and rear for jumpers, and thats about it for this lil project!
Finger Hand

Automotive exterior
Power plugs and sockets Technology Games Electronic device

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nice work, looks clean. All connections are weatherproof under there?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Nice work nothing like a clean build up!!!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
thats sweet!!!! i'd love to do something like that!

·
Registered
455 Posts
So do u just leave the truck running for constant power with this? I understand it converts the batts to 110, but how long can u use this kind of setup without the truck running. I would like to do something like this to both of my trucks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm running a auxillary battery for it, but dependig on how much you use it and what you use, it lasts pretty long without a startup! last summer I had a smaller inverter power a component stereo amplifier for about 5 hours at the lake without startin it, and it read just about 10.5 before I cranked it over. I've been using it that way because i've drained my batteries twice from playin my truck stereo all day. What are you looking to run off ot it?

·
ROTM STAFF
2,802 Posts
I can run about 2 hours(depending on load) on my 10,000 watt inverter, on my stock batteries....but now I have some awesome XS Power batteries so I really don't know how long it'll last now.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
nice man:GoodJob

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well my work truck is a gasser but I would like to be able to run some of my power tools, maybe my copressor if it would handle it. I don't know what it would take to do that. On my dmax, who knows tools, fridges, radios I don't know. I would just like to be able to do it all. What would be a good all around set up?

·
ROTM STAFF
2,802 Posts
you'll need 3,500watt/5,000watt peak to run an air compressor or any larger power tools.

A 10,000 watt like mine will get you everything you'll need.

·
Registered
622 Posts
very nice install if you dont mind me askin how much did that setup run you

·
Registered
455 Posts
so what brands are good? and does anyone have a write up and a material list, or know where to find one?

·
ROTM STAFF
2,802 Posts
so what brands are good? and does anyone have a write up and a material list, or know where to find one?
No one really knows which is the best,..it's what works for YOU, and YOUR applications....and with all things...you get what you pay for.

Best of the best..Pure Sine wave Inverter,..but you will pay big bucks....and it is normally not what the everyday guy needs

I use my inverter to power a 2.5hp 115 volts air compressor, and numerous 15amp+ tools....and it works flawlessly.

The inverter like mine will run you about $420,...then you'll need 2/0 welding cable for power wires...when running this much power..you need BIG cables.

Here is the one I have.

Wagan Power Inverter 5000 watt - DonRowe.com

pic of my installer(daughter)

now I have 115v anywhere I go,..which powers my air tools, power tools......and for fun....flood lights out in the woods.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now thats an inverter!! I don't need to power my house.. ha. I I had room to mount somethin like that thatd b great, but I use the bed a lot.

·
ROTM STAFF
2,802 Posts
yeah..not everyone needs this much...but I tend to go overboard on things...:LMAO

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey.. go big or go home! I like ur setup!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts