I used to live there, moved back east fall 2013. My girlfriend used to be a ski instructor there but got a job back east here so we moved back.
Freakin AWESOME place to live...I still think about it all the time and miss it a ton. We call it "never never land", its pretty much college without the homework haha.
I still have a ton of friends out there and plan on going back to visit once a year, we're going out end of this month to ski and visit friends.
Couple bits of lingo you'll get to know:
1. "the resort" = Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, the mountain.
2. "start bus" = the town public transportation system that basically just shuttles us to/from the mountain.
3. "the villiage" = teton villiage, the little resort/villiage/town at the base of JHMR (jackson hole mountain resort)
4. "The moose" = the mangy moose, classic bar at the base of the mountain
5. "the VC" = "village cafe"...its not there anymore, sadly they tore it down, but it was a little bar/cafe downstairs in the basement at the bottom of the tram that EVERYONE would go to for apres. So if you mention the VC, people will know you arent a newb haha.
6. "first box" = first tram load in the morning up to the summit, best skiing because you get first tracks
7. "the virge" = The virginian lodge, diner/trashy motel place in town
8. "albertsons" = THE only grocery store in Jackson
9. "Pearl street" = pearl street bagles...best bagels you'll ever have and amazing breakfast sandwiches
10. "the Q" = the Q roadhouse, awesome brewery/restaurant on the way to the villiage.
11. "disco night" = every thursday night at the Stagecoach bar over in Wilson...every thursday night they have a blackout shitshow club-y event where they play disco music (and everyone dresses accordingly) from 9:00pm-12:00am, and then switch to top-40 from 12:00am-2:00am...diffmo's are SOP there.
12. "the pass" = Teton pass, its "the" place to ski back-country
13. "shady lady" = fun bar at the base of snow king mountain in Jackson, they have a great new years party
14. "the cowboy" = needs no explanation
15. "The local" = great bar/restaurant next door to the cowboy, my girlfriends old room mate and close friend is the manager there.
16. "gaper" - out of towner, tourist who cant ski, but has all the most expensive/ridiculous ski gear, and clogs up the mountain for those of us who actually ski.
17. "joey" - a younger gaper, usually the offspring of gapers
18. "the gondi" - bridger gondola at the mountain
Heres some other general advice.
Become a Jackson/Wyoming resident (like, get a wyoming license) ASAP...nobody likes a tourist/out-of-towner/out-of-state-license...99% of the bars in town will charge a cover for out of towners, but locals get in free.
Get "22-plates" for your truck ASAP. Wyoming license plates are configured so the first number is the county, and then your plate number is the last couple numbers. Jackson/Teton is "22-xxxxx". Again, nobody likes an out of towner.
Live as close to the center of town as possible. Easy walk to the bars when its cold.
Get a bike for the summer...we bike everywhere.
For convenience sake, its easiest to just leave your house unlocked all the time, and keys in your truck all the time...no one is going to mess with your shit.
All of the taxis are Escalades and Suburbans, its awesome.
99% of the Taxi's arent really "taxi's"...they're just eastern europeans who have an Escalade or Suburban and want to make a couple bucks on the side and take advantage of tourists. There are no meters in the taxis or anything; they just pull a number out of their ass based on your appearance/how much they THINK you'll pay for a fare. But they're all cool guys generally; I made friends with a lot of them because I would just bullshit about cars/trucks with them and ride shotgun whenever we'd take a taxi.
Jackson actually was the first place in wyoming to get 4G/LTE, its actually not as hillbilly bumpkins as people assume, haha.
Nobody has a mail box, just a PO box. USPS does not do local delivery to your house; everything has to go to a PO Box. UPS and FedEx do local delivery though obviously.
The community is so small and everyone is so friendly that you'll make tons of friends in no time...like I said, its basically college life if you're under 30 years old...make the most of it and enjoy it. Im really jealous of you...
Are you moving out there by yourself? Do you have a room mate?
One of my best friends who I roomed with out there is still out there now, but is moving back east in May...if you want a sweet place with a garage that is long enough to fit a Dmax in, with extra length to work on it, let me know...so our old place will be available.
I'm going to be moving with my girlfriend and my chocolate lab. She got a job as the manager in training at the Four Seasons Yes I desperately need a place to live. We are having a really hard time finding a place, we are number 45 on a wait list for an apartment right now lol. A garage would be awesome. Send me message duratothemax!!
nice place to go for a day or 2 but i dont think i could ever live there. Only bar i ever had a issue at was the million dollar bar, people always were rude there IMO, every other place was good though i thought
Well I've been here 2 weeks now and I have to say this place is awesome. So far I've done an atv trip to the mountains, and took a drive through yellowstone. I'm waiting for the water to slow down so we can do a white water trip and some fly fishing. I can't wait for hunting and ski season!