Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just another newbie to the forum here with some of the same questions. Figured I would piggyback on this thread as opposed to starting a new one. My question is more from a fuel mileage standpoint. I don't need the extra power that a programmer can give, but I am looking at getting the best mileage out of a 02 with the Allison that I can. Towing is not done during the winter months. Once spring rolls around I can only guess that the max that I would tow would be around 5k lbs if I end up with the trailer I want. Have to get the race bike to the track somehow!! I am looking for something simple, I don't have time to mess with tunning or trial and error. I am also looking to keep it as cost effective as possible (cheap, but willing to pony up for something that will work noticeably better). Thanks for the help!

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
WElcome to the site!!

I moved you post to its own thread because I felt it could be better responed to on its own!!

To gain fuel milage a tuner will be the best bet for the most gained cheaply, things like air intakes and exhaust might help but not enough you will really notice. The lb7 is by far the best of the d-maxes in the milage dept. already. a small tune like 40 60 hp would do you the best IMO and a 4"exhaust would complament it but not really needed for the most part!!

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
You won't get huge gains, but I have heard good things about the predator programmer....I have one on the way and will be testing it here soon. I gave up on trying to improve the mileage on my truck...I bought it to drive and use it. I don't think I get bad mileage for an almost 7000 lb truck. I definately get better mileage than my 2001 silverado 1500 with the 5.3 gas guzzler.:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seeing that I am coming out of a 95 S-10 with a 4.3 that gets right around 20mpg, I was hoping to not take a huge hit in the pocket book when it came time to fill up. Diesel around my area is 30 to 40 cents more a gallon than gas, so it adds up quick!! If I can nurse the Duramax to 18 mpg or so I would be ecstatic! Realistically I am guessing it will be closer to what my Tahoe would get 15-16 mpg. Still better than my Trans Am at around 12 mpg though. Thank you all for your opinions on what helps the best in the quest for more mileage! Being that Christmas is coming up shortly, money will be spent other places...but come spring the first mods will definitely be in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you might try an aero turbine muffler, not sure what size your exhaust is but i'm sure they make one for it. if you have a cat, loose it. if you still have the stock intake setup, loose that and get a conservative CAI setup.

I have an AFE stage 2 with the proguard 7 filter & 30" magnaflow straight thru exhaust and an aero turbine 4040 in front of that. with the addition of the mag muffler I lost alot of low end torque. adding the 4040 brought some of that lost torque back w/o hurting egt's.

oh, and the edge juice with attitude set on mileage & #1 gave me the best mileage before going to the TST.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You didn't post what model truck you have. My 2002 K3500 D/A, CC, LB, gets 18.5 empty and 9.5 towing my 15.5K# 5er. Completely stock, no mods of any kind. The best mileage improvment is in your right shoe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts