Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok Guys!

Like all newbies, Ive spent the $2K on wheels and tires, ta make it look good,
the $300 ta make the tires fit, and another $800 or so on gooseneck hitch,
electric brake controller, inbed plug, nerf bars etc. And its only got 500 miles on it.

Now for performance, and guess what! Ive blown tha buget. Only enough left
from the tax return for either an exhaust system or a programer.

All Im lookin for is MPG. Remember, I,m coming straight out of a stock 7.3 PSD
so this new MAX is like a rocket ship! NO MORE POWER NEEDED MR SCOTT!!

Need Input!

The choice is yours gentlemen!

Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've always wanted one of these programmers until I read a TSB from GM on the damage these things cause. I have the TSB and can email it to anyone who wants a copy. I also started asking people who have used one. I've only talked to 2 people and both have since removed the programming. One because he fried the clutches in his Allison trans, the other because of a blown head gasket. I would caution anyone using these things. If you do I certainly wouldn't use it while towing heavy loads. Read the TSB first before spending any money and make an informed decision. The bulletin number is 06-06-01-007

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i would recommend the diablo sport it will add a couple of hp recalibrate the speedo and read most engine codes...i'm running the ppe on my trucks and if i drive it like i should i can get up to 22 to 23 mpg all highway runnin with my 06 2500HD on 305-55R20(32-12.50R20)but a good average is 3 mpg gain from stock...hope this helps

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can you post it? If not I would be interested in reading it to see what GM's opinion :confused: and thoughts :fart are on this issue.
[email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm using the Superchips Flashpaq and got a couple miles to the gallon better. The reason I wanted it was to recalabrate the speedo so your not racking up more miles than you really are putting on and there goes your warranty that much quicker. To get full benefit I run it in the highest setting. Lots of power and great milage. This mode is not for towing, I set it down for that. I really baby my truck because I'm after the milage. Its kind of fun though to can it every once in a while and hear the tires squeal like a sports car though. The superchips also reads all the codes and you can download updates from your computer onto the programmer and install them into the truck. I have done this once since I got the truck. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have several customers running the Diablosport, and they have been thrilled with the mileage and driveablity increases. For the price, its about the best bang for the buck. You do need to show some restraint to keep GM off your back, as with anything else. Moderation is the key for mileage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To answer your oringal question you really need to do both exhust and programmer. With that low of mileage on your truck, I would opt for exhaust first then programmer.JMHO

·
Registered
2 Posts
can you post the tsb

I've always wanted one of these programmers until I read a TSB from GM on the damage these things cause. I have the TSB and can email it to anyone who wants a copy. I also started asking people who have used one. I've only talked to 2 people and both have since removed the programming. One because he fried the clutches in his Allison trans, the other because of a blown head gasket. I would caution anyone using these things. If you do I certainly wouldn't use it while towing heavy loads. Read the TSB first before spending any money and make an informed decision. The bulletin number is 06-06-01-007
can you post a picture of it that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and have a nice day:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts