Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before i decide exactly what year duramax i want to get i was wondering what the lb7 got mpg? also if an economy tune actually would help. and if their was a better year that got better mpg and was more reliable? i know the lb7 is reliable but the injector problem scares me some.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yes, LB7's injectors are a pain, but it has no EPA junk on them and get the best stock mpgs and even better tuned with EFI Live. I've had mine for almost 10 years and have gotten used to getting 20mpg on the highway the whole time. Great truck and engine, just poor design injector wise. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Cant say about the lb7's. i have an lmm and i am getting 16.5 or so in the city. My buddy has an lly and is getting about 17 city. If i was u, id find a lbz just because of the 6 speed. But i not lly's and lb7's are great. Just upgrade fuel filtwrs and maye replace injectores ONCE and it will be all up to how u treat it from there

·
Registered
648 Posts
I usually get around 22-24 highway and 15-17 in town. Best I ever got was 26 highway with a 30mph tail wind:) I usually run 60-65 mph.

Edit: I should add that I run the Edge on performance tune. I get better mpgs on performance than the economy tune.

·
Registered
292 Posts
so this came up in another thread yesterday....and I'm reading more about his "best ever" LB7 achieved mpg's.....so agian I'll share these facts:

LMM bone stock 2wd 265/75/16.....consistently earns 17-18 around city and 22-23 on long flat hauls at 65mph cc or no cc doesn't matter.

the on-board DIC display has hit 25mpg on highway with cruise set on 60 for a 20+ mile duration.

all achieved while driving "normal"

DIC when compared to my hand math is typically .5-1mpg higher but that's all....the ride gets faaaar better mpg than I ever anticipated....AND I've tuned nothing thus far.

if I were to add a 4" lift and 33" tires wrapped around 20" wheels i would expect my mpg's to drop by 20% or more.

all depends on what you buy and how you roll.

·
Registered
370 Posts
On my setup and tunes (see sig for details) I get 16 in the city and 19/20 on the hwy. I am also looking to maybe add a water/meth injection system just to see what I can get. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts